Hey peeps,

I'm on day one of using Traktor.

The pieces of gear i have are:

MacBook
    Traktor Pro
    Edirol FA-66
    M-Audio Oxygen V2
    Korg Nano Pad

I play house music so i wont be needing to do any scratching or anything just simple mixing, looping and Fx. I would need to be able to do crossfading as well to blend the tracks in.

Could it be done on just these pieces of equipment without having to get a VCI-100?

Thanks for your help!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

A massive YES to that my friend . In fact you could ROCK Trakor with that setup.
    The potential is huge.

But one question before we get carried away. The Soundcard is FireWire. What Macbook have you got ? Has it got a FireWire connection ? I assuming that you have this sorted ?

you can use practically any midi controller for traktor. you can you the oxygen 8 keys and split them in 1/2....left side for deck a right side deck b for play/pause/cue/drop cue. and you can midi assign the knobs to control the eq/fx knobs.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Convert

Hey peeps,

Thanks for getting back.

Yeah it's firewire. I have it all plugged in a ready to go!

....Just need your help to set it up

Thanks!

Awesome. First thing to do is learn to walk before you can run.

Learn the software . Get your tracks in the collection and learn how to beatgrid and use the software even if that means without all your extra hardware. You will end up wasting loads of time trying to map something before you even know the basics of the software.

Read The Manual its all there. Its not great for total beginners but thats why places like DJTT and the N.I. Forum exist .

Start small, use your soundcard and learn how to mix your tracks and use loops then effects.
    Then look into mapping your controllers and look for other peoples TSIs to get you started.

With the 2 contollers you have theres enormous potential and i bet 10 different people will tell you 10 different ways yo use them. However i like what JesC says about assigning half of the Oxygen to Deck A and the other half to Deck B. Youve then got the Korg for effects and loops.

WhooHoo welcome to the mind boggling world of Digital DJing.

[psst join the NI forum for advice as well, its not such a nice place as this but you will get some great advice, just wear a Hard Hat :eek: ]

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Oh, and wait til Bento gets here and starts talking about Bomes as well...

Trust me, with what you got you'll be set just fine.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

you can definitely use what you have now.

however, how long have you been spinning and how did you start (vinyl, cd or "virtual")?

IMO you'll really want to get a VCI ASAP (coming from the guy who does not have one or used one before ) or at least get some more knobs and sliders (i.e. BCR/F2000 or the like). Those knobs on the Oxy will run out very soon and if you want to set it up like a "traditional" dex n fx rig you'll be very limited.

I must admit that my current set up does not provide me with a comfortable mixing atmosphere (BCR2000 and Trigger Finger). Sure the knobs work for a type of cross fader but I miss the subtleties of an actual cross fader. I also hate mousing-around in tracks. The VCI will remove both those issues as well as several other buttons to make navigation easier.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Why would he need a VCI-100 when he doesnt need jog wheels to scratch (yes i know they have other uses but...)

Hes got a ton of great kit NOW.

Just learn to use Traktor . Use what ya got now and then decide which direction you want to take with controllerism. Then , when hes knows how he wants to DJ he can sell the stuff and get the right controller. Hell he may rock with what hes got.

Dude telling him to buy a VCI is not good advice for a beginner with that amount of gear and no knowledge.

[Yoda on]
    Learn the program he must.
    [Yoda off]

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Why would he need a VCI-100 when he doesnt need jog wheels to scratch (yes i know they have other uses but...)

Hes got a ton of great kit NOW.

Just learn to use Traktor . Use what ya got now and then decide which direction you want to take with controllerism. Then , when hes knows how he wants to DJ he can sell the stuff and get the right controller. Hell he may rock with what hes got.

Dude telling him to buy a VCI is not good advice for a beginner with that amount of gear and no knowledge.

[Yoda on]
    Learn the program he must.
    [Yoda off]
    Right...

That’s why I began my reply with "you can definitely use what you have now" and included the proverbial "IMO".

Questions also included how long he has been spinning and how he started out spinning. He mentions he's new to Traktor so we're not sure what his background is at this point.

Anyhow, I'd still go for the VCI and once I save up a years salary I'll most likely be getting one myself for the reasons listed above
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Long live the Oxy-8 ! i just bought one of them yesteday
    Kinda hard to beat for their price ! I will personally be using it control Ableton however but its plenty good for Traktor too, you definantly dont need jog wheels to mix in this day and age.

@Dvls - Also yes Bomes Bomes Bomes Bomes Bomes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast