Kinda Urgent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kinda Urgent

Tech Convert

Default Kinda Urgent

Ok guy's so the owner of a hookah lounge I go to (it's very club like) just texted me asking if I can dj tomorrow night (Friday nights are decently big prob 30ish people at a time in a pretty small space). I've had two gigs now and I'm not really sure if I'm ready to play in a club like environment but I do not want to give up the chance I might not get again. What should I do? Any tips are more than greatly appreciated!

Tech Guru

all i have to say is do it..dont think twice about it
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Guru

ive spun hookah lounges yes they it is a club vibe but its a club vibe yet more relaxed so you getting ready for a club but more relaxed so if you fuck up people wont really notice too much and anyways you said its a club vibe so clearly youve been there before and seen how things are so youll know what to play and the vibe
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

do the gig and get some experience if you know what atmosphere they are after, but were i'm from lounges are about talking with your mates an drowning a couple of drinks before heading somewhere else, that means keep the volume low enough so people dont have to shout and pretty much play smooth stuff like prog, deep house, minimal, (real) hip hip, liquid drum n bass, trip hop, save the monsters for when you are playing clubs, and avoid anything commercial.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

I see no harm in taking it. If you truly do screw it up, there will always be new opportunities.

Take it if you've got the tuneage to play low-key gigs (hookah bars are generally where people go to talk as opposed to dance).
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

Alright guy's I took the gig, hopefully I do well and they keep me and I have a good time. This hookah lounge is different... the last dj plays loud house, dubstep, and electro. Everyone loves it... so I guess the people like that kind of club/rave music. Which is where I feel at home, so I guess that's good. I really hope that I'm ready for it though I'm just nervous about messing up my first real gig. Wish me luck!

30 people.

manage your expectations, and it'll be fine. and don't get down because people aren't dancing. most hookah bars I've been to are really chill places…so plan for and expect that vibe, and you'll be fine.

Tech Mentor

I think you'll be fine. Usually the DJ's I hear at hookah lounges are beginners. Just out of curiosity where are you located?

Tech Convert

Thanks, yeah this hookah lounge is pretty chill except for the people that obsess over dubstep who scream anytime skrillex comes on. But I guess I'll be fine, I'm just extremely nervous.. and thanks for that Arman! I live in South West Florida.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast