Complete Setup Overhaul
    Tech Mentor

Default Complete Setup Overhaul

Hey guys just wanted to hear some of your opinions on this situation.

I currently own an S4, which is cool, but just kind of ehh right now. I am not completely happy with Traktor. It seems too simple and a lot of people and just hit sync and make noises just as cool as me. So heres what I'm currently racking around in my head. Selling it all.

In my free time, I like to make mashups. They are subpar at the moment, but I do not currently know even 2% of what Ableton can truly do. If I sell my S4 I will buy an APC40 which i do like. I have played with one for about a week once. I truly respect what you can do with it and feel its features are endless. I currently own Ableton Live 8 and I like it. I just don't know where I can learn great tips from it without paying 2 grand for a class. I would also have to buy about a $250 Audio 6.

So heres my question. Am I being too drastic? I would love to DJ strictly in ableton, but I am not confident that I know it well enough. However, Traktor is too simple, with its certain respects. I know great things can be done with it. Would you sell an S4 and buy and Audio6/APC40 if you were where I am. I am also moving to England in the spring for 5 months and would love to take it (APC40) over. Taking an S4 would be a hassle because of its size in my opinion.

Thanks for reading this book. Let me know your opinion i truly want to hear it.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Default My opinions

I'm pretty much moved to Ableton for DJ'ing with an APC40, just bear in mind it can be a complete pain in the ass too! If i was in your shoes i'd probably go for a VCM600+Soundcard rather than an APC or even just remap an S4 (probably what i'd try to do first).

Traveling with the s4 should not be an issue, and you may be better just buying an APC if you really want to when you get to the UK, there is plenty of DJ shops and S/H stuff.

Unless you need the inputs the Audio2 will work just fine.

Some Issues with DJ'ing with Ableton for me:

1. You really need to pre analyze your tracks/loops that you intend playing.
    2. Browser is pretty reliant on the mouse, which sucks more than you can imagine when playing live and you get a sudden blast of inspiration!
    3. Regular EQ's are not readily available to you by default, which really pisses me off no end, even with a remap.
    4. You need to remap your APC extensively IMHO for "DJ use"
    5. You'll probably be looking at the screen a whole lot more.
    6. Easier to screw up.
    7. Even with a remap nothing is quite "at your fingertips" per deck apart from Some EQ's (if you hard mapped them), volume channels and clips.... coming from a straight up DJ'ing background, its another thing that you probably really will miss, hence the reason I'd try to map the S4 first with a 4/8 channel layout or go with a VCM.

Where Ableton really shines though is for live Re-mixing, being able to drop samples over playing tracks, multiple loops etc, and the tradeoff if worth it. You'll sure gets some looks as well (And not the "oh your just pressing sync" ones).

As regards classes/tutorials, youtube is your friend and the Abletondj forums .

The APC40 is not small either mate.

But if you gonna go Ableton....the APC40 is definitely the tool for it.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I just wish AKAI would bring out the knob area of the ACP40 as a separate controller, it'd make things much much easier from a DJ perspective....

On a side note 2xA&H K2's might be worth a looksie when they get released Smaller setup, more control and work out around the same price as an APC+Soundcard. I think they might work better for live dj'ing .

On my wish list .... SANTA WHERE ART THOU!

Tech Mentor

[/QUOTE]1. You really need to pre analyze your tracks/loops that you intend playing.[/QUOTE]
    Oddly enough I enjoy doing this. Adds less surprises when playing.

[/QUOTE]3. Regular EQ's are not readily available to you by default, which really pisses me off no end, even with a remap. [/QUOTE]
    I cannot agree more. I've already tried this a little on my launchpad. But there isnt just a low or map. This is my biggest debate right now. Nothing sucks worse than clashing basslines.

[/QUOTE]5. You'll probably be looking at the screen a whole lot more.
    [/QUOTE]
    I don't feel like I would. If you are already analyzing tracks and loops and go through your set before, I feel like I should know what to expect.
    [/QUOTE]6. Easier to screw up. [/QUOTE]
    PREACH the TRUTH

And i just wanted to add a little insight on what i might be mapping it like. I wouldnt map it quite like this but like i said im a mashup artist. This is the closest related one i could find. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9pEHZt4yWs

Thanks again for the replies. I still think im going to go ableton since already make all my stuff in ableton

You can have a peek at my 4 deck/4 samples template here, its pretty DJ friendly with the "easy to kill a gig" bits taken out ... prob not perfect for everyone, but works fairly well given the # of knobs to work with.

I might add some one-shot FX at some point, but honestly prefer twistable fx rather than push button ones, the combos you can create are pretty endless even with a minimal number.

Includes bass / gain Eq's (mainly used)
    8 Fx per channel
    Loop in/out (replacing play/stop/rec)
    SendA/SendB = high&mid / HP/LP respectively
    Scene launches disabled in lew of master tempo bend and quantize 0/.25/1 bars.
    Rec/Arm replaced by Clip Stop
    Clip Stop replaced by FX on/off
    Stop all clips disabled, just selects master channel now.

Eq's are split across 4 channels, my simple reasoning is that the only things i generally play on ch5-8 is whats been sampled or effected on 1-4, so having the eq's chained like this works perfectly, you could always hard map a bass kill though on clip stop or something.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...t=29570&page=2

oh and ..

5. You'll probably be looking at the screen a whole lot more.
    6. Easier to screw up.
    Mostly doing 5 to avoid doing 6 :P

.... glitches do appear occasionally in the matrix and nothing worse than triggering another clip on the same channel halfway though an intense break (yikes)!)

Happy mapping anyhows