This is customer service!

Default This is customer service!

I recently bought this super affordable and durable firewire soundcard, "Deux" by SIMS Audio (2 ins, 4 outs + headphone monitor for 70 USD = sweet) but I was disappointed to find out that the headphone jack monitors all four outs so I can't cue tracks.

To be certain, I emailed the company to ask if it really can't be changed, even in software, this is the response I got;

---

Thank you for contacting us.

Yes, I regret to let you know, it’s not possible to choose which ports are being monitored in the headphones, both of them are hardwired to the headphone output. However if you are authorized and interested in soldering, you can remove resistors R139 and R143. This way only output 3/4 will be routed to the headphone output. Please note, this modification voids the warranty.

Thank you for your understanding. Should you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

---

Hah! SIMS just shot to the top of my favorite companies list. I've never communicated with a company that suggested a DIY solution involving taking apart their product and voiding the warranty. I'm gonna dig out my old soldering gear and mod this baby right away!
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Your happy that you are voiding the warranty..?

Id get my money back and buy a soundcard that suits your purpose rather than messing with a card and voiding a warranty that you may need further down the road.

I think its terrible customer service even if you are proficient with a soldering iron.

Nah man all I'm saying is I like doing things myself and I really don't mind modding a cheap card to better suit my needs. What I appreciated was them giving me the info to do it properly if I so choose

I agree that it's good customer service. Most customer services would probably just say that it wouldnt be possible but these actually gave an alternative solution.
    Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio 2, Aiaiai TMA-1, Behringer EuroRack MX 1604A, M-Audio BX5A, Macbook Pro 15'' mid 2010
    Facebook and Soundcloud: Fuscus http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fuscus/275164752519652

Tech Wizard

That's pretty awesome that a company is that open and willing to help you get the most out of their product, even in ways as it was not intended. What's more impressive is that the person answering your email was that knowledgable about the product. Props to SIMS. This story alone makes me want to check out their gear.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Only other company I know that suggests modding is DJTT, and they encourage it!
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

WEENIRVANA, I know right? Just giving me some info offhand on exactly which resistors to solder, very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    Only other company I know that suggests modding is DJTT, and they encourage it!
    Haha exactly! I was hoping the DIY spirit would appeal to fellow DJTTers