When did you start digital dj'ing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When did you start digital dj'ing?

Did a quick search to see if this thread has been started before but didn't find anything...

Was thinking about this the other day and thought it'd be interesting to see who's been dj'ing using pc/mac software the longest on this forum. And no, playing some mp3s in a Winamp playlist doesn't count! (I'm talking about dj'ing software).

I first got into mp3 dj'ing with a program called Alcatech BPM Studio 2.5 back in 2001-02. I stuck with it until Traktor 2.0 came out and moved to Traktor 2.0 permanently in 2003. I then bought a DJ Faderfox DJ1 in 2004 and started gigging around Asia with it. I've still got the DJ1 and it works perfectly!

I remember my friends coming round to my place when I was dj'ing dnb/jungle mp3s using BPM Studio... they were amazed at what it could do. It was pretty ahead of its time - even had some nice rackmounted hardware that you could use to control all the functions (even showed the track names on little LCD displays). Was pricey though.

What's your digital dj history/story?

couple of nice little Traktor anecdotes; I had 2 of the guys from Noisia come round my place to do some tunes with me back in 2003... I did a house party and Martijn played a set on my Traktor setup... probably the first UK Noisia gig was in my living room!

2nd time I put Traktor 2.0 to the test was an xmas eve outdoor rave in the mountains of Northern Thailand back in 2005. I played a 2 hour set (with no Traktor crashes!) infront of around 200 people. One of my fondest memories of dj'ing out It took me quite a while to 'upgrade' to Traktor 3.0 because 2.x was so stable by this point.

March! i know i stand no chance of winning this
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Been always a vinyl guy up until 2 years ago. Started with Traktor. I have 3 set ups and I always had problem mapping it. It is just not very plug and play friendly. Also did not do videos. Last straw was when it froze on me last year on a NYE party at club I was DJing at. Switched over to Virtual DJ and have never looked back. I do from time to time use Serato SL since it seems to be the standard in clubs here. So whenever I play with other DJs, I just use Serato cause it is much easier to transition for one DJ to another.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

My first foray into digital dj'ing was in 2006ish with SSL. I remember the first time we had a party. My mates thought it was witchcraft!!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I've been digital since I started DJing, August of 2009 when I got my VCI 100 (yeah, I lurked the forums for like 5 months before joining when I got my midi fighter lol)
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

i started with Torq in 2006/2007 after a friend of mine won the connectiv and some control vinyl. had heard of ssl back then and thought it would be years before it would be so accessable - then all of a sudden we were using it!

Tech Mentor

I've never span digitally or otherwise in my entire life, i just researched the subject really well, so i could opinionate really well as if the words were due to experience, and nicked obscure mixes off the web and labelled 'em as me own so i could be a superior troll..

Tech Mentor

Citizen Insane, your avatar has just hypnotised me and i was compelled to go out and rape an under age sabre tooth chicken.
    I hope you are pleased with yourself.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

August 2005 with this little guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast