Kontrol s4 And Active Subwoofer
    Tech Student

Default Kontrol s4 And Active Subwoofer

I have a kontrol s4(love this thing :-p) that I have been running on a set of powered speakers for the last few months without any trouble.

I Just bought a behringer b1800d-pro powered sub to go along with the set and Im connecting to the sub using 1/4" TRS connectors on the main out of the traktor to the xlr inputs on the subwoofer. When I plug just "one" of the line cables in on the sub I can hear the sub start pumping away but i get no signal light coming on... then when I plug the other one in I just about loose all sound from the sub completely(no bass just a faint sound from the song thats playing) and still no signal light. I then went through and checked all the cabling for any faults and all is good. So all I can think is maybe it needs to be ran off a powered mixer?? lol i really have no idea.... thinking a trip back to the shop is on the cards.. I have a gig tonight and the shop is about 2 hours away :-(

checked all volume buttons?
    If the sub is active(powered), it means it has a integrated amplifier and does not need a amplifier or "powered mixer"
    Maybe you have to change some setting directly on the sub.. sometimes there is a few.

/martin

Tech Student

Yea I checked all volume controls and can just manage to get the signal light to come on when i max out the volume on the s4. But my main concern is that it cuts out when running both channels into it.

Tech Wizard

Are you sure your trs to Xlr cables are wired correctly? Did you buy them pre made? Do you have Xlr inputs on your main powered speakers? If so I would plug the cables in to them to see if you get sound. If it sounds right you may have a bad sub. Check that when you plug them in to your mains you get additive bass when you plug in the second speaker. It sounds to me that you may have one cable wired out of phase.

I have a B1500D and the volume needs to be PREEETTTY high to get any signal lights showing... For me, maybe 10 or 15% and will generally start to clip at 25%ish

I would double check the phase, highcut and boost as well...
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Convert

it may be worth it getting a crossover to put between the S4 and your speakers. That will keep your speakers and sub from interfering in terms of frequency cancellation.
    Something like the dbx driverack will give you a crossover and some pretty decent eq and compression, and maybe a little more juice than just the S4.