EPIC FAIL! Need answers... Midifighters thrown out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default EPIC FAIL! Need answers... Midifighters thrown out

The worst that could have happened happened last nite: the power of my mixer cut! The mixer switched off bt I was able to switch it right back on. Nevertheless the music obviously cut. If this was a simple power failure on the plug side I do not understand the second thing that happened:

my midifighters were thrown out of traktor as well and i had to set them up again in the controller setup in traktor... How is that possible? How does that make any sense???

This is my setup:
    macbook pro > focusrite saffire 24 pro dsp (firewire) > mixer channels 1/2 > output

the midifighters are obviously connected via usb (no hub!).

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!!! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THE POWERCUT OF THE MIXER HAS TO DO WITH THE MIDIFIGHTERS BEING THROWN OUT... PLEASE HELP!
    Finest Electronic Dance Music

www.januaryone.dj

Without understating the cause of the power cut to the mixer it would be foolish to speculate.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Mentor

Have you ever had that? power supply of mixer being cut? its a pioneer djm 350.

www.januaryone.dj

Sounds like a power spike or dip. Did you have speakers/amplifiers on the same circuit? Did you have your mixer & computer on a surge protector or power conditioner?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Sounds like a power spike or dip. Did you have speakers/amplifiers on the same circuit? Did you have your mixer & computer on a surge protector or power conditioner?
    I brought my own mixer and went from my main outs one of their mixers channels. Everything was connected on their side. My three power plugs (for laptop, soundcard and mixer I plugged into a set of plugs that were entirely empty and ready for a dj to use.... allegedly...

Can a power spike or dip throw the MFs out as well though??? I dont understand!

www.januaryone.dj

Tech Mentor

Anyone still ideas why midifighters are reset and mixer switches off at the same time even though mixer and midifighters are not even interconnected in the slightest...

>>>desperate<<<

www.januaryone.dj

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JanuaryOne View Post
    I brought my own mixer and went from my main outs one of their mixers channels. Everything was connected on their side. My three power plugs (for laptop, soundcard and mixer I plugged into a set of plugs that were entirely empty and ready for a dj to use.... allegedly...

Can a power spike or dip throw the MFs out as well though??? I dont understand!
    A power surge can take out anything unless you are using a Surge Strip.
    Doesnt matter that your kit was plugged into separate sockets.

What do you mean about having to setup the MF again..?
    A power surge could have affected the power to your USB ports.

Did you restart Traktor?

Quote Originally Posted by JanuaryOne View Post
    Anyone still ideas why midifighters are reset and mixer switches off at the same time even though mixer and midifighters are not even interconnected in the slightest...

>>>desperate<<<
    Everything is connected in a very real way if they are on the same circuit in the booth, which they will be.

You MUST use surge protection strips for all your gear. Never use the house 4 ways or adapters.

Tech Mentor

thanks mate for getting back to me.

im not originally english so jst for me to clarify "surge protection strips" are basically extension strips with a various number of plugs right? Arent all of these things surge protected???

It was totally random what happened last nite. The mixer switched off. Silence. I instantly switched it back on after abt 10 seconds of long nothingness. Traktor I didnt have to restart, the tracks were still playing in the decks, but I couldnt control them with my MFs nomore. So I had to do what you have to do everytime you open Traktor: tell MF1 to control deck A for in and outputs and do the same for MF2 for deck B.

So even though the MFs were connected to the USB and didnt have any connection to the mixer whatsoever they were both affected at the same time. Also I noticed that when that happened, the MFs gave me the 2-seconds-"lightshow" that you get when you first plug them in, bt obviously i didnt take them out....man completely lost...

It was a big gig last nite and ended in the most traumatic way possible...

www.januaryone.dj

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Surge Protection strips are similar to regular strips but they do no allow too much hit your gear if there is a spike as there is a Circuit Breaker which cuts out before your gear gets zapped.

Sounds like there was a spike on the whole circuit and it affected the power your laptop supplies to the USB ports.

This is just my hunch, im no electronics expert.

On the subject of the MidiFighters. You may have been able to disconnect and reconnect them so that Traktor sees them again. This is called 'Hot Plugging' but, if your USB ports were affected then this might not have worked.

If it happens again just try unplugging and replugging the MidiFighters.

Definitely invest in a Surge Protection Strip dude. I had a power spike take out the whole booth and it shut the laptop down completely. Scary stuff.

Tech Mentor

Man that sounds scary!!! I was actually soo relieved that the mfs still reflected in the controller editor, coz if i had to unplug them and plug them back in i would have been afraid that they dont get picked up at all unless i restart traktor and that would have been an even greater disaster.

will certainly get one of those circuit breakers. THX A LOT!

www.januaryone.dj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast