6hr Set: Need Advice
    Tech Wizard

Default 6hr Set: Need Advice

I'm spinning a 6hr set tomorrow at a club/lounge in the main room. I'm viewing my set as three different parts: opening, main, closing.

Opening (120-126bpm): I was thinking of starting with some mellow deep/funky/jackin house for the first 1.5-2hrs, then adding in some tech house to see how the crowd responds.

Main (126-128bpm): Depending on how the crowd responds to the tech house, I might keep going strong with it or try some electro house with some progressive.

Peak/Close (128-134bpm): I think I'll peak with some electro house into progressive and trance (nothing above 134bpm).

Close (134-126bpm): Mellow out with some progressive house, big room, and vocal.

Any thoughts?

Hmm I don't know your scene but why so many genres

Over here people who like deep house would not appreciate going into electro then trance, but maybe its different over there ?

If so great - thats how clubs used to be in the early 90s here - you would here everything from hip-hop, funk, house, techno - vocal, non-vocal

And it was much better - so if you think you can get away with it go for it
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Hmm I don't know your scene but why so many genres

Over here people who like deep house would not appreciate going into electro then trance, but maybe its different over there ?
    Second this, I probably would be leaving quite quickly in a situation like that. If you're starting out with deep house then tech house and some proper techno would be the more logical choices to me (then again, I might be biased as those are pretty much the genres I play). But generally: don't overthink it, just play what feels right at that moment
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

yeh i wouldn't play so many genre's.i did a 5hr set last week n just played deep and tech house,and kept it around 124bpm the whole time.the set will go quickly so just keep it simple.peace,good luck

what club?
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

i agree, slowly progess into the set, please don't plan your set too much in advance and just ride the experience. Start off mellow/laidback and see where the night and the audience takes you.
    Also, i wouldn't focus too much on bpm. You can play a laidback set at 130 bpm or a energetic set at 126 bpm. It's all in the tracks, not in the stats.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Towner View Post
    what club?
    Vogue Supperclub off King West.

Good call on not gauging tracks by bpm. Sometimes I do feel slower bpm tracks have more energy, depending on how the drum loop is sequenced.

Not really sure about the crowd that hangs out there so I hadn't really planned a set, just had an overall idea of the feel.