Getting Started - Equipment for the Basement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting Started - Equipment for the Basement

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been wanting to try my hand at DJing for a long time now, but I never had a lot of time to invest. Now, I find myself with a lot of time, and I'm working on making the jump into things,

I've looked through a lot of postings and the FAQ, but I wasn't able to find much solid information about what I should be gunning for in terms of physical equipment to get myself going. A buddy of mine lent me his copy of Traktor Pro 2 to play with, so I have that, but as far as physical equipment goes I don't have a controller or soundcard. I was wondering if you guys would be willing to throw some ideas my way or just point me to a thread that might have some info on that so I could get started messing around in my basement.

I don't have a lot of money to speak of. Probably $200 at this point. However, I do have a decent stereo receiver and some speakers, and a couple of pretty nice computers.

TL;DR- Getting started DJing. Wondering what physical equipment (i.e. controller and soundcard) I could pick up on a $200 budget to mess around in my basement.

Mixtrack Pro, it's plasticky as hell, but you get a shitload of bang for your buck.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

That looks pretty good actually, and right in my budget. Nice that it has the audio interface built in too, so I wouldn't have to worry about that much. Thanks!

I agree with cybertrash, I have one and they are plasticky but good experience...
    Soundcloud - Check it out

Macbook Pro 13" - Numark Mixtrack Pro - MidiFighter

Tech Mentor

I'll second the Mixtrack Pro, for the price you aren't going to find anything better.

you could get a used reloop digital jockey 2 Interface Edition.. metal chassis, good 2in 2out software routed soundcard to run 1 timecode if you wish to (not including seperate mic and headphone out), great crossfader, plasticy knobs but overall decent quality for the price and I think its built far better than the mixtrack

This is a picture of the master edition that has an inbuilt analog mixer and a 4in 4out soundcard, and no balaced master out, just rca. the rest is the same.

EDIT------------------------

Actually just had a thought... you could probably run two timecodes if you used the normal input for deck 1 and the mic input for deck 2, all it needs is a stereo signal to work... just thought I'd share
    Last edited by synthet1c; 12-17-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I'm definitely going to take a look at the Mixtrack Pro, especially after watching some videos on it.

synthet1c- Multiple timecodes? Balanced master outs? You just blew my mind.

Tech Mentor

For the mixtrack, get the regular one (not pro) + either numark DJ IO or maybe an Audio 2 DJ. You should be able to grab a mixtrack+numark DJ IO for the same if not less for the mixtrack pro, and that leaves you witht the option of upgrading your sound card without losing your controller or vice versa.
    Really just gives you more freedom imo.
    I have a mixtrack and I love it. Build quality could be better, but you get what you pay for and its really not that bad.

I you have any questions about it let me know
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Zhao View Post
    For the mixtrack, get the regular one (not pro) + either numark DJ IO or maybe an Audio 2 DJ. You should be able to grab a mixtrack+numark DJ IO for the same if not less for the mixtrack pro, and that leaves you witht the option of upgrading your sound card without losing your controller or vice versa.
    Really just gives you more freedom imo.
    I have a mixtrack and I love it. Build quality could be better, but you get what you pay for and its really not that bad.

I you have any questions about it let me know
    That's what I started with. Mixtrack and a dj i/o. Really good option because there's so many mappings on this forum for it already.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    you could get a used reloop digital jockey 2 Interface Edition.. metal chassis, good 2in 2out software routed soundcard to run 1 timecode if you wish to (not including seperate mic and headphone out), great crossfader, plasticy knobs but overall decent quality for the price and I think its built far better than the mixtrack

This is a picture of the master edition that has an inbuilt analog mixer and a 4in 4out soundcard, and no balaced master out, just rca. the rest is the same.

EDIT------------------------

Actually just had a thought... you could probably run two timecodes if you used the normal input for deck 1 and the mic input for deck 2, all it needs is a stereo signal to work... just thought I'd share
    I'm not sure how the Digital Jockey 2 works, but most entry-to-mid range controllers have a hardware mic input with very little control, it won't get routed through Traktor, just go straight through to the master out.

Also, AFAIK, Reloop haven't got any scratch certified products either.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast