Can someone explain how cdj 900/2000 usb works?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Can someone explain how cdj 900/2000 usb works?

Im thinkin bout picking up a pair mainly because of the usb and usb link feature. I was wondering is it just plug and play or do i have to "add" the songs in rekordbox in order for it to play?

Im hoping it's just plug the external in, and all my songs are displayed on the lcd screen. Is it like that?

Tech Wizard

yes, you need rekordbox to use the feature of "LINK" then rekordbox.
    However, if you have an SD or usb stick, you can still scroll on the screens

Now in HID mode, you can do the same with tractor or serato
    Current gear PIC- Pioneer DJM-2000 2 x CDJ-2000's HDJ-2000 Rekordbox Stanton Überstand ZOMO case Powersquid Calamari Gigaware Squid hub Ableton Traktor Scratch Pro 2 MixedInKey TuneUp MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 512 GB SSD
    Gear in limbo -> Serato Video SL The Bridge Rane SL4

Tech Mentor

ok so what? in order to use the link feature i need to import my songs to rekordbox? its not plug in hard drive then both units could link and see whats on the drive?

Tech Wizard

Check out PIONEERS chanel on youtube and watch the videos. They are very informative and have some neat tricks that will spike your interest.
    You can anywise your files in rekordbox then transfer all to a USB stick/ external drive.
    I like my 2000's and have used all the legacy CDJ's in the past. The 900's were nice but, the 2000's and I just work well together.
    Current gear PIC- Pioneer DJM-2000 2 x CDJ-2000's HDJ-2000 Rekordbox Stanton Überstand ZOMO case Powersquid Calamari Gigaware Squid hub Ableton Traktor Scratch Pro 2 MixedInKey TuneUp MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 512 GB SSD

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 123xyz View Post
    ok so what? in order to use the link feature i need to import my songs to rekordbox? its not plug in hard drive then both units could link and see whats on the drive?
    you will be able to use the files, yes. Waveforms, BPM's etc are the thing that aren't shown unless the files are anylized. Rekordbox makes a file for each song with all the extra info and "Quantized" all that needs to be transferred into the same drive. Just select your drive in the browse feature and let it run its course

Tech Wizard

FYI - Rekordbox is free. Get it and let it do its work, that way when you have made your decision on the decks you want, all the work is done already. I just let it run overnight to analyze the files. I always use Mixed In Key first then analyze. I like the "Overwrite comments" in MIK

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by skygear View Post
    FYI - Rekordbox is free. Get it and let it do its work, that way when you have made your decision on the decks you want, all the work is done already. I just let it run overnight to analyze the files. I always use Mixed In Key first then analyze. I like the "Overwrite comments" in MIK
    yeah thx for the advice

Tech Wizard

I did this when the 2000's were first released. That way when I showed up for sets, i could plug in and go.

Quote Originally Posted by skygear View Post
    you will be able to use the files, yes. Waveforms, BPM's etc are the thing that aren't shown unless the files are anylized. Rekordbox makes a file for each song with all the extra info and "Quantized" all that needs to be transferred into the same drive. Just select your drive in the browse feature and let it run its course
    They don't create/analyze stuff on the fly? When I've played with them off my flash drives waveforms and BPMs loaded up fine (there was a slight delay) and I've never used recordbox.

Tech Wizard

Interesting... I always did my tracks in this method. I had a few files in rekordbox that I had imported and the waveform wasn't there until the track played(meaning as the track played it was showing the waveform from what was played). Maybe on the stix its a different process. Me being a creature of habit, I tend to do what I know works in prep BEFORE each gig. I like recordbox in the manner of being to get everything ready beforehand when I'm traveling out to places. Setting cues, quantize etc,,,
    Last edited by skygear; 12-18-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast