Rokit 8" vs 10"
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rokit 8" vs 10"

Tech Guru

Default Rokit 8" vs 10"

Hi All!

For my xmas present this year I am looking at a pair of rokit 8" or 10" speakers.

Does anyone have any experience with both of these speakers?

Currently I have a pair of Alesis 10" Studio Monitors that I absolutely love but will be using these speakers in a alternate location.

So is it worth the extra money to upgrade from 8" rokit's to 10" (3-way)?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

Probably not, especially for DJing. They are huge and really still don't produce great low end compared to nicer monitors that are much smaller. Hearing them at guitar center a lot of the smaller monitors that were similarly priced from nicer brands had better low end reproduction. I think the 8" are perfect once you add a 10s subwoofer.

Tech Guru

Hey thanks for the info. I was hoping to get a pair that has decent sub low bass without the need for a added sub. Since I'll be moving these around a bit it would be a little too much to move a sub as well.

What brands did you like 10" wise that you have heard at GuitarCenter?

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGod View Post
    Hey thanks for the info. I was hoping to get a pair that has decent sub low bass without the need for a added sub. Since I'll be moving these around a bit it would be a little too much to move a sub as well.

What brands did you like 10" wise that you have heard at GuitarCenter?
    I wasn't really looking at 10" monitors I was just curious and was very underwhelmed by the RP10-3s for what they are.

Always add a sub, the KRK subs aren't big and the sound quality difference is huge. I just picked up my second KRK 10s sub (I got both of them for $200 on craigslist) so I have one for DJing and one for my studio since I hate using monitors without them.

It doesn't matter if you have 15" woofers, it is still going to sound weak and empty on full range compared to smaller speakers with a subwoofer. No subwoofer means no sub bass.

I really don't understand how people are ok without using a subwoofer for DJing and dance music. It just sounds really weak to me and I would rather DJ with computer speakers that have a subwoofer than most smaller affordable monitors without one.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Tech Guru

OK so go for the 10" KRK's + sub?
    Last edited by GeekGod; 12-19-2011 at 12:57 PM.

OK so go for the 10" KRK + sub?
    Well definitely go for the 10s subwoofer but I wouldn't get the 10" RP10-3s.

I would just get the RP8s, the RP10-3s didn't really seem worth it to me for the price and their sheer size but go and test them out.

Tech Guru

I'd like to test them out but my guitarcenter locally does not have the 10's in stock and are not willing to order a pair.

Thanks for the info either way.

I'd like to test them out but my guitarcenter locally does not have the 10's in stock and are not willing to order a pair.

Thanks for the info either way.
    Yeah I wouldn't bother with them. Just get the sub and the 8s I have two of these setups and it sounds amazing.

Tech Guru

OKies! Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I really don't understand how people are ok without using a subwoofer for DJing and dance music. It just sounds really weak to me and I would rather DJ with computer speakers that have a subwoofer than most smaller affordable monitors without one.
    Agreed 100%.
    That's part of the reason I can't fathom using anything but home stereo component speakers for DJing. They crank a LOT louder than any studio monitors I've heard, and tend to color the sound a little depending on what kind of amp/receiver is used. I've always gotten more bang (and boom) for my buck with that stuff.

Granted, if space is a concern, component stereo stuff is probably not the best idea.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast