What Controller Should I Get Started With
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What Controller Should I Get Started With

Dear forum, I'm really new to Dj'ing but I'm really interested in it and I've been planning on buying a controller for a little while. I was just wondering what any of you would suggest for me to get started with. I have traktor and I'm looking mostly to mix electronic music, maybe some hip-hop and rap, etc for fun and some small parties and such, I'm not super interested in making my own music. From what I can tell my best bet to start is the VCI-100 or the Novation Twitch (I'm leaning towards the VCI-100 since it's cheaper and I'm just getting started). I'd really appreciate some advice because I'm having trouble deciding, also if you do have a suggestion could you just give me some info as to why you suggest it?
    Thanks so much!

Tech Mentor

Do you want to be using Traktor, Serato, or VDJ? I suggest downloading a demo of each software and seeing which you prefer, and then getting a controller that best suits that software.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rdubs23 View Post
    Do you want to be using Traktor, Serato, or VDJ? I suggest downloading a demo of each software and seeing which you prefer, and then getting a controller that best suits that software.
    Currently I'm planning on using Traktor or Serato, I like both, but if I had to choose I'd say traktor.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bobalandi View Post
    Currently I'm planning on using Traktor or Serato, I like both, but if I had to choose I'd say traktor.
    Grab the VCI100 if you prefer traktor then. The twitch is a great controller though and is mappable to traktor.

Tech Mentor

The VCI-100 would definitely be a good starting point, however it's hard for me to recommend someone a controller for Traktor without saying how awesome the S4 is, absolutely f*cking love mine.

if you want to play hip hop you need tables, if you brought a vci to a party with hip hop heads in these parts you would quickly be shunned from playing... especially from the rap boys that is just the culture.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

I would say stay away from going really cheap, because you'll have a hard time selling it.

I would even say stay away from the VCI-100 because I just sold mine and was forced to sell it for $200 from lack of interest. I guess on the upside, you can buy it cheap. But after using it for a few years I wouldn't be surprised if nobody wanted it, or if you had to let it go for $50.

The other thing with the VCI-100 is that I don't think it has enough buttons to control TP2 unless you're totally fine with having multiple layouts and the memory to remember which buttons do what.

I'm all for the S4, although I have the S2. The S2 is perfect for someone that wants to use TP2 but has no need for 4 separate channels. Keep in mind you can still control 4 decks with the S2, you just need to toggle between A-B or C-D since there's only two channel strips.

Spend as much time as you can, familiarizing yourself with the functions of the software you want then look at a controller and consider whether it has the right layout and amount of buttons, knobs and faders that you want. Also consider that if there isn't an existing mapping for your controller software combo, you may have to tackle that too. I've dabbled in it, but some of the mappings I see people putting out on this site, are most likely far beyond my capabilities (especially the DJTT S2 mapping). Although I've only tackled basic mapping (play, pause, stop etc) but I've seen how much difficulty people on here had trying to reproduce the S2 mapping and still not getting it quite right so I assume I wouldn't fare much better and would have wasted a lot of time figuring that out.
    Last edited by tokenasianguy; 12-19-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    if you want to play hip hop you need tables, if you brought a vci to a party with hip hop heads in these parts you would quickly be shunned from playing... especially from the rap boys that is just the culture.
    IMO At this stage in DJ technology, I don't think tables are necessary unless the OP plans to scratch.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    IMO At this stage in DJ technology, I don't think tables are necessary unless the OP plans to scratch.
    Sorry, yeah I don't think I made it clear, I have no plans to scratch, when I said hip-hop and rap I was mainly speaking of mixing it for the purpose of dancing. All that being said I guess I'll probably end up going for the VCI-100 or S2, most likely the VCI-100. Thanks for all your responses, and I would love more if anyone else has stuff to say.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bobalandi View Post
    Sorry, yeah I don't think I made it clear, I have no plans to scratch, when I said hip-hop and rap I was mainly speaking of mixing it for the purpose of dancing. All that being said I guess I'll probably end up going for the VCI-100 or S2, most likely the VCI-100. Thanks for all your responses, and I would love more if anyone else has stuff to say.
    If it is between those two, go for the S2, you wont be disappointed. The only thing it's missing IMO are the dedicated filter knobs, but you can easily map them to the gain knobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast