Home Studio Speakers
    Tech Mentor

Default Home Studio Speakers

Hey guys,

So heres a random question. I am using 2 M-Audio Studio Pro 4 speakers and i just added a 10" sub to my sound system for djing/producing at home.

What i would like to know is, is there a way i can have a frequency cutoff to my studio monitors so they dont produce as much bass and let my sub do most of the low end work?
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Pretty sure there should be a crossover in your sub man

Tech Mentor

im not talking about the sub.

Im talking about the Studio Monitors. What i find is happeneing is that too much bass is being output to my studio monitors. I want to clear out the low end of my studio monitors and let the Sub do most of the low end frequency work.

As it sits right now my sub is doing perfect...i just want to cut out the low end of my studio monitors
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Tech Mentor

I have a old Jamo 200 sub so that is not an option.

However i just got my hands on 2 Rokit 8s for 300 bucks so i just solved all my problems

That doesn't solve your problem. An RP8 has an internal crossover b/t the woofer and the tweeter, but not a high-pass filter for the whole speaker.

You want an active crossover or speaker controller…except that they'd add noise. So, uhh…get used to it. AFAIK, that's how you're supposed to use those speakers anyway.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    That doesn't solve your problem. An RP8 has an internal crossover b/t the woofer and the tweeter, but not a high-pass filter for the whole speaker.

You want an active crossover or speaker controller…except that they'd add noise. So, uhh…get used to it. AFAIK, that's how you're supposed to use those speakers anyway.
    It solves his "I don't have Rockit 8's" problem, though.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Tech Student

Studio monitors kill the processing so you get a flat sound, I don't think you can get rid of the extra bass. Get some bookshelf speakers with a amp and EQ.

no, they don't.

You can't kill processing…you can just have things that don't add more.

And KRKs are bookshelf speakers. To some extent, all nearfield monitors are just glorified bookshelf speakers that don't do anything to ruin the sound passing through them. They're all based on the Yamaha NS-10m, which–despite being a staple in basically every pro studio that's bought speakers since they came out–was designed to tell studio engineers "here's what most people's sound systems are going to sound like, without all the BS processing and EQs that they're going to set wrong and destroy your mastering with anyway."

Seriously…I trust mastering engineers more than I trust salesmen at best buy…that's why I use low-end nearfield monitors for basically all my listening at home. They're also cheaper than anything I can find at best buy that will play nearly as loud without distorting.

BTW, I'm not sure who suggested it, but I took their advice and played on a friend's HiFi system. Yeah…if I weren't using sync, I couldn't have done it. Apparently, the processing–most of which I fumbled to turn off because everything sounded overcompressed and otherwise just wrong–added a delay. Like…it added 3/4 a second of latency b/t my audio interface and the speakers.

If you want that, by all means buy HiFi equipment.

Tech Mentor

Well I got my RP-G2 8s and i can say that i am extremely happy with my purchase!

I found them on Kijiji and talked the guy down to 250 for the pair...they are in PERFECT condition not a scratch on them and as close to brand new you are gonna get without being brand new lol.

I was mixing on them for about 2 hours last night and i cant believe how amazing they are...SUPER happy. Compared to my StudioPro 4s and Sub it just blows them away. I have kept the Sub hooked up so i can get the really low end response.

Overall I am really impressed with the build quality and sound quality...have surpassed my expectations in everyway...except...holy crap these things are heavy