Another New Kid on the Block...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Another New Kid on the Block...

Help Out Fellow Mates.. I am just starting out

Target: I'm interested in mixing and scratching.

Budget: Don't want to exceed spending $500 (I understand I get what I pay for so I don't mind buying a used set if worth it)

Type of Music: Fusion, Techno, International, R&B Hip Hop

Software: Traktor (although I've never used b4 I've been reading that it suits best for fusion works)

So based on these thing what do you well experienced professionals advice?

In my mind I was thinking of getting a separate mixer and a separate turntable as I do want learn scratching too. But if you recommend to start off with a combo which includes everything...

what say guys... every bit of advice is greatly appreciated!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

well, scratch license with a mixer and a pair of TTs sound like the winner but it exceeds your budget. I would keep on saving or buy the components one at a time. This would be a lot cheaper than buying something economic and upgrading later.

Tech Wizard

excuse my iq-norance ... scratch license with a mixer and a pair of TTs ?

Tech Wizard

one more question... during a random chat with friends .. one of them said scratching is so out of date.. Pro DJs don't scratch anymore? I did'nt agree with him because I said it's all about the feel and it's not out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by mrshan View Post
    one more question... during a random chat with friends .. one of them said scratching is so out of date.. Pro DJs don't scratch anymore? I did'nt agree with him because I said it's all about the feel and it's not out of date.
    your friend is an idiot.

and if you want Vinyl control, 500 dollars is way too low. You'll need to spend at least 1,000 to get a decent set up for that.

Tech Wizard

Thank you ... He is an IDIOT! hmmm.. if $500 is way low...

Should I start off with just a controller and learn to mix and then eventually invest on a turntable... so what's a good start.. any specific models or series?

Thank you!!!!!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Like I said, wait and save. You might be able to scratch with some controllers, but you will be way more comfortable with TTs.

If you're interested in scratching then you'll probably want to go with full size platters like traditional turntables, which are expensive, because you should also be accompanying it with a proper battle mixer. A mixer could cost between $500-$1000, and anywhere from $300-$700 for turntables depending on whether you buy new, or used, or whether they're Numark TTX's, Tech 12's, or Stanton Str8 150's. Then you have to buy vinyl at $20 a piece or go digital in which case you'd have to buy a lapotp, and either Traktor Scratch Pro or Serato where it'll cost you between $600-$700 so "scratch" DJ'ing is definitely on the high side of DJ'ing.

If you want to go cheaper, I've seen people do some decent scratching on controllers like the Numark NS7, but even that will cost you $1000, and you still need a computer.

If you're considering scratching but have never done it, maybe you should give it a try first. I've tried a few times to become a "scratch" DJ, but it takes a great degree of rhythm, and I think it's possible that I don't have enough.

I'm saying that because if you decide you don't want to scratch, it opens up a lot more options for DJ'ing, or using a controller. If you don't want to scratch, getting decent setup for $500 is feasible. I just got the S2 and I think it's amazing and for 2 ch mixing and it cost me $575. Then another $650 for my PC.
    Last edited by tokenasianguy; 12-20-2011 at 01:44 PM.

^ Yup.

I try to be a scratch DJ every once and a while. 10 minutes in, I say screw it, I'm a mix DJ.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Thank you so much guys for all the insight. Sounds like I am going start up with a mixer that'll allow future upgrades.. so maybe one day I can invest on the traditional turntables.

I've been hearing alot good stuff on the S2 and S4 ... What I am really missing out if I go with an S2...? And S2 does allow upgrades ...right?

And does it comes Traktor full version?

So I feel like ... I need shed a good grand on all this combined ...

hey guys what about used deals??? I mean pros and cons ... How would softwares work on used gears?

Isn't it licensed per user or owner? Any basic stuff I need lookout for in used gears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast