Trying to decide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Trying to decide

Trying to decide what program to use for DJing. I've been using Traktor for probably 6 months now and recently tried bridging traktor and ableton but failed. Now I see people like Paul Van Dyk that strictly use Ableton to make Live mixes and I saw how many options there are with doing that. But I also saw that some people won't respect that fact that you aren't beat matching manually. I'm not sure anyone have any input on the subject?

About beatmatching debate, I would appreciate if we don't go through this for the 23th time this month.
    Seach old threads with keywords such as "sync;cdj; hate controllers; hate for digital" to have an idea of what do people think. Remember that people here are mostly digital DJs, hence tolerent about sync and stuff, since most of them are using it.

On the Ableton/Traktor, even if i'm sure it has been asked before, i would say it depends on what you want to do, how do you want to perform.

My opinion on that is that Ableton is a nice tool to perform with if you got your OWN tracks. That means you can have them disassembled. Bass, lead, drums, kick, vocals, everything separated. That allows you to really blend and recreate your tracks on the fly, as you feel it, and that's what awesome with ableton in my opinion. Not to mention Ableton Live supports VSTi, and it puts it to another level.
    If you don't produce, thus want to play tracks that are not yours, I feel a bit stupid to use Ableton. Push a button, no matter the tempo/bar/whatever and it will be synced. Push a fader up, bring the other down. Congratz you are a DJ. I'm a bit to sarcastic, but that's how I see it.

EDIT : I think this thread should be moved to the General section. It doesn't belong here, and there it will have a better exposure so that the OP gets more replies and opinions aside of my biased one.

Banned

Dude, really? There's plenty of information out there on both of these alone for DJing, plus the pro's and cons and of using each other PLUS there are a number of threads on here about this very debate.

Google, search, read and come to your own conclusion instead of relying on others opinions to justify your decision

Tech Wizard

just wanted some human interface instead of reading blogs there's no need to be rash

I very much enjoyed spinning on Live when I was performing, but it was a real headache getting things ready. Between warping every track, having to make sure iTunes didn't fuck up and move music files away from their asd files or re-name them, getting into MIDI Remote Scripting (in a very limited way), and coming up with a mapping that made sense to me…it ended up not being worth it. But it was really fun while I was playing.

To me, Traktor short-hands a lot of the prep work because there's so much less you can do and–mostly–because the default mapping for the X1 is a lot closer to what I want than the default mapping for the VCM-600 was.

But…I'm also a bad DJTT user. My flirting with the computer so far has lead me to believe that it's all about making sync work, whether it's syncing programs or just decks…getting effects to line up correctly, whatever. Without being a controllerist, everything difficult about DJing with the computer seems to be based on that, and I don't think it's worth it. I'd drop everything for CDJ-2000s in a heartbeat if I could afford them.

Tech Wizard

Ive come to the conclusion of just sticking with Traktor 2 for the simplicity and ease of use and because I already know how to use it. Also, the sample decks on the bottom give you the option of doing some of the same type of thing that you would use Live for... Traktor just seems like a better program to use for djing overall. I use FL studios for producing. And if you watch Ean Golden on the tables using Traktor you can really see the potential of the program with the right equipment. Quite amazing

Tech Mentor

Ya know what?
    A big landmark in the map of growing up, is when you work out "Fuck what other people think" for yourself and use that sentiment freely about your daily life.

If you wanna use Synch, do it.

Got any counter arguments, Children?

(Edited for spelling, keyboard batteries running low)
    Last edited by U-31; 12-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by U-31 View Post
    Ya know what?
    A big landmark in the map of growing up, is when you work out "Fuck what other people think" for yourself and use thart sentiment freely about your daily life.

If you wanna use Synch, do it.

Got any counter arguments, Children?

As i'm the only one who mentioned sync, I bet this aggressive message is of me.

First of all, show some respect. You just poped up on the forums, and you already act like a douche ? Calm down, child.

Then, in my post I mentionned my thoughts. I didn't judge any sync users, I just said that i PERSONALLY would be bored on ableton, mixing 2 tracks that are not mine by touching a play button and a fader. I need a jog.
    The OP asked for opinions, he got mine. That's it.

PS : And please stop writing like a gangsta, this is a civilized forum. Thank you.
    Last edited by dope; 12-21-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Tech Mentor

The message wasn't particularly aimed at you, but we have a saying here, If the cap fits wear it.. If the post evoked such a strong reaction from yourself, touched you at some emotional level, then surely you must have a look inwards and ask yourself why.

I stand by the original sentiment, It doesnt matter one jot if you use Synch or not if you pull off consistent mixes.
    If anyone has a problem with how a DJ achieves his results, then the problem is solely his alone and not the DJ's.
    When the OP realises this, he has taken a massive step.

Anyway sonny, aint it way past your bed time?

Don't get me started. I don't know why do you act like that, being defiant behind your little monitor in the depth of the nigh, you really look ridiculous.

I neved said a statement about sync or not. Never said if it was better or worse than beatmatching. I just gave my fucking opinion, and the reason why i wouldn't like to DJ on Ableton Live.
    That's how i feel, no matter what you try, no matter how hard you work, you will never manage to change my mind.

I'm getting tired of guys like you who want to prove they are real men with testosterone and stuff through aggressive messages. I'm done with you.

PS:
    Repost, cause it looks your eyes are full of shit :
    Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    About beatmatching debate, I would appreciate if we don't go through this for the 23th time this month.
    Last edited by dope; 12-21-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast