New Digital DJ: Convert CDs to .MP3 HELP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default New Digital DJ: Convert CDs to .MP3 HELP

i have a massive CD library over the years DJing (over 10,000 CDs) that I need to convert to .mp3 on my laptop to stop carrying around so many CD cases. Is there a simple and fast way to start converting the CDs in mass quantity vs manually feeding them into iTunes one at a time??

Please Help..

Tech Guru

You are going to have to feed them into a computer one at a time...but you can setup more than one computer to work in parallel. I find that it is a better use of my time to put a bunch of CDs into the tray and fix all the tags...then rip at a later time when I can be distracted. I will typically work 20-30 CDs ahead with the tags, then rip that batch.

Do yourself a favor - rip to FLAC, grab EVERYTHING into the tags that you can find. Keep the FLAC's on a pair (at least) of drives as a backup. Then convert to mp3 @ whatever bitrate you want on your performance laptop.

For a PC based solution, I really like Media Monkey to manage my music collection - ripping, tagging, converting, etc. For a Mac, someone else can provide a recommendation.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

dBpoweramp should be pretty good at this it can also find tags automatically. a lossless format like FLAC is probably the best thing you can do, but will be the most time consuming, 320 kbps and V0 would be your second choice.

Tech Mentor

something like this is by far the simplist and fastest way.

http://www.acronova.com/blu-ray_cd_d...nimbie_usb.htm

Tech Mentor

For best results, rip using exactaudiocopy or CDex. Then compress to FLAC. If you're on a Mac, consider ALAC as an alternative to FLAC. (exactaudiocopy and CDex will encode to FLAC out-of-the-box, it might take some work to make them encode to ALAC on-the-fly--I am not sure about this.)

Then tag using Discogs as the metadata provider and MP3tag (or similar such as Kid3) as the metadata editor.

It will take slightly longer than using iTunes or Windows Media Player, but at least you'll get perfect results.

Addendum: Even if you're on a Mac, you can still make use of EAC or CDex. Both programs run flawlessly in Wine.
    Last edited by rgtb; 12-22-2011 at 05:35 AM. Reason: additional info

Don't rip to MP3...make you sure you rip to either wav or a lossless format like FLAC or ALAC.
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Tech Student

thanks for the feedback and advice

Tech Student

thanks for the feedback and advice guys...seems like a major overhaul but well overdue and necessary

I know this sounds awful, but I found it easier to just grab the albums off the net. I technically do own the album. I just grabbed higher quality stuff. This was back when OiNK was still around and you could get flac or 320k stuff.

Take 5 minutes to rip an album in EAC or 30 seconds to grab an EAC ripped copy from the net.

Maybe this is bad advice...I dunno, is it illegal to download an album you already own?
    nope.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by yiannara View Post
    thanks for the feedback and advice guys...seems like a major overhaul but well overdue and necessary
    When I was CD based (10-ish years ago) I had about 5k CDs in my collection. But that is only part of the story. My "go to" discs were in a pair of binders...and there were maybe 200 or so in there. There were another 50 or so "new" to me CDs that I also used for a couple of different genres...depending on the gig. So, after ripping maybe 350-400 CDs I had 95+% of what I had played at a gig in the last year. So that is what I started with when I ripped my collection.

By starting with the "core" of my collection, I was able to have enough critical mass to start using a computer at a gig, but I still kept the ripping to a manageable amount. I think it took me about 6 weeks of nights and weekends to get that much done.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast