Benefits of Cueing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Benefits of Cueing

Hey guys, I'm a little confused.

Why do people use cues? I've been trying to learn cueing but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Where in a song, do you assign hot cues?

I know this is kind of an open ended question but please try to bear with me, I'm just keen to learn!

Thanks so much.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I usually set my cue points at the beginning of a song, at the drop, and where the final breakdown/outro is. Lets you get to different parts of the song with ease. Basically if you have certain parts of a song that you want to jump to all the time then set a cue there, it's a very useful tool if you take the time to set them up.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Thank you so much!

That's what I thought you use cue points for but I run into two problems with them. Should I assign them at the actual breakdown/drop etc. or a bar before just to make it should a little smoother.

When I press a hot cue, the song stops and jumps to that point. How do I stop this happening?

Thanks so much.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I try to think of Cues/Hot Cues a bit like a continuous sampler it allows you to mash/edit your track or simply drop random sound fx.

Simple Example: I might have 3 or 4 cue points in a track (I don't mash too much).

Cue1 - Normally the first mixing beat of the track, your initial start point and where I either beatmatch or sync from.
    Cue 2 - Where the Bassline kicks in.
    Cue 3 - Breakdown in the track.
    Cue 4 - Track Outro / Loop

In essence it means you can de-construct a track, shorten it lengthen it, rearrange it, play it backwards, end to beginning, play it from a random position or drop in sections on beat.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

When I press a hot cue, the song stops and jumps to that point. How do I stop this happening?
    Sounds like either you have an issue with latency where your computer can't handle the jump to a cue point, or pause is maybe assigned to the hot cue button as well.

**edit damn you and your mou5y head, got in before me**
    Last edited by deevey; 12-23-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Tech Mentor

Deevey hit the nail on the head but i'd also add vocal in's an outs...

as far as where to set the cue, its really up to you and how you want to play that specific cue.

Remember there are also 4(might be 8) beat markers (not cueable) that you can lay down on tracks through the advanced menu. This might help keep things "tight" if you use the Beats to Cue in the info header.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Mentor

Some vocals are great for cue'ing too, first examples to come to mind are Knobbers and Warp ("Now push it" and "Whoop Whoop!", respectively), fun to sample every now and then and super easy if you've got a cue point set up!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Should I assign them at the actual breakdown/drop etc. or a bar before just to make it should a little smoother.
    There's no right or wrong answer to this one, if it feels and sounds right then its right.

Some tracks just don't lend themselves to dropping on a break due to whooshy noises, sound fx, vocals bleeding in etc..... you'll need to figure that out on a track by track basis.

Quote Originally Posted by U-31 View Post
    Deevey hit the nail on the head but i'd also add vocal in's an outs...
    This.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    **edit damn you and your mou5y head, got in before me**
    Hahah well you went way more in depth than I did, and pointed out stuff that I neglected to mention such as:
    In essence it means you can de-construct a track, shorten it lengthen it, rearrange it, play it backwards, end to beginning, play it from a random position or drop in sections on beat.
    Oh and by the way, it's a bear, not a mau5.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast