Whats the best way to rate a record pool?
    Tech Student

Default Whats the best way to rate a record pool?

Hey folks... my first time here to HI to you all.

I'm working on a review site for all these record pools out there. It seems like all the information is so scattered, one cohesive place to read reviews on the pools would make sense no?

If there were 5 criteria you would use to rate a record pool on, what would it be?
    ---

Here are mine:
    Customer Support - if things are messed up with your account, are they quick to fix it? Are there alot of billing isues?

Sound Quality - are they giving you 32kbps consistently? or 320kbps?

Update Frequency - Are you getting the newest releases daily? Or is it taking 4 months before you get the new Jay Z?

D/L Speed - Is the site slow, or can you download and be out before your gig starts?

Ease of Use - does the site make sense? or do you feel like you need a PHD to navigate the site?

Tech Mentor

Not that I'm planning on subscribing to a record pool anytime soon, but I'd take good updates over frequent updates any day. There's shitloads of music being released, and a pool that I know doesn't just offer anything it can find but focuses on proper tunes, could potentially win me over.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    Not that I'm planning on subscribing to a record pool anytime soon, but I'd take good updates over frequent updates any day. There's shitloads of music being released, and a pool that I know doesn't just offer anything it can find but focuses on proper tunes, could potentially win me over.
    good point. "quality updates" are better than frequent updates, which could be all fillers/garbage!

if you were in the market,other than quality updates... what else would you be looking at?

Tech Mentor

organization and search functions. just switched from DMS to djcity and i feel like djcity has better quality updates, but their search and the overall functionality of their site is pretty much crap.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Invoke View Post
    organization and search functions. just switched from DMS to djcity and i feel like djcity has better quality updates, but their search and the overall functionality of their site is pretty much crap.
    hey invoke, thanks for your response!

what is it about djcity search that you don't like? my opinion is that it's not "smart" where you might spell something wrong and it wont give similar results... or you might put a phrase of a songs title, but you might have to turn that phrase into a one word search to hopefully pull up something.

what has been your experience?

You should invest the money and actually buy subscriptions to the record pools so you can find out how they all work. Determine what you think should determine quality. You gotta spend money to make money.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2010/12/should-you-join-a-digital-record-pool/

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    You should invest the money and actually buy subscriptions to the record pools so you can find out how they all work. Determine what you think should determine quality. You gotta spend money to make money.
    hey frank! thanks for the response.

i already have a memebrship to two pools. i plan on buying other subscriptions to do "editor" reviews.

in the first thread, i've listed my own 5 criteria to use when judging record pools. my hope is to get feedback from others on how i can make my list of 5 BETTER. i've already decided to change "update frequency" to possibly quality of updates or something to that extent based on another members feedback.

like i said, my hope is to get 5 criteria that makes the most sense, so i am soliciting feedback to do so!

thank you for your post however.