::XONE 92 Gains/Traktor Gains/ & Internal Recording Gains::
    Tech Wizard

Default ::XONE 92 Gains/Traktor Gains/ & Internal Recording Gains::

Whats Up Guys!

I have been searching for some input here from my fellow XONE92 and Traktor users on GAINS, and the perfect balance of sound for optimal sound and recordings. I am balanced via XLR cables directly to my KRK Rokit 8 monitors, and have my gains on the Xone about 12oclock. On my Monitors I have volume turned all the way up to 6db (which is recomended via the manual), and have the HF at 0db.

Thanks in Advance everyone! And Happy Holidays!

Tech Wizard

Bump...

Anyone?

Switch off Traktor's autogain and use the channel gains on your Xone to achieve a somewhat consistent volume level
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Guru

If I understand you correctly, you're using your Xone 92 to mix externally? if so, you shouldn't keep your mixer gains at ANY level.
    adjusting the gain for each individual track as you mix them in is KEY.

Set your master volume in traktor to -6db.
    Use your gains for each channel to adjust the songs coming in to the mix.
    Put your recording gain at 0db.

I might have misunderstood your question, let me know if that's the answer you were looking for.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you're using your Xone 92 to mix externally? if so, you shouldn't keep your mixer gains at ANY level.
    adjusting the gain for each individual track as you mix them in is KEY.

Set your master volume in traktor to -6db.
    Use your gains for each channel to adjust the songs coming in to the mix.
    Put your recording gain at 0db.

I might have misunderstood your question, let me know if that's the answer you were looking for.
    Yep Exactly!

I guess I am guilty of getting a little bit to use to the "Auto Gain" & Limiter feature

Going to try out -6.0db for MAIN, and 0db for audio recording. What's up with the "Headroom"? Where should that be set at? Right now I'm set at -3bB.

Appreciate the feedback guys! Thank you!

AutoGain works fine. It just means you have to adjust the gains on your xone less.

AFAIK, the headroom does the exact same thing as turning down Traktor's Master the same amount, but I could be wrong.

I mix externally with a xone:62 and use AutoGain, 0 headroom, output at like -14ish. The channel gains on my xone wind up around 2-3 o'clock most of the time with the master set so things peak around 0dB. I don't remember where my monitor gains are set, but they're set for a comfortable voulme. +6 is way too loud for my room, and I like for the master meter to mean something.

Tech Wizard

Hey Mostapha,

Seems that the above recommended: Main: -6.0dB, and your -14.0dB is a big difference? How did you decide to set up there? And in comparison where is your Internal record set at as well?

I can tell this thread will probably be a big debate about whether or not to use the AUTO GAIN feature in general. Seems some people use it others don't. Maybe a preference thing? I'm not sure, and am neutral at this moment because I haven't played using Auto Gain OFF enough.

Keep the responses coming!

Tech Guru

nah, I didn't mean to bring up using autogain or not, i swear!
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

I use auto gain because it's easier. It doesn't really make a difference, since I always check it with the meters on m xone anyway.

As for -6 vs. -14…yeah, I just set it there so I never have to think about it clipping. I'm using 24 bit output and 16 bit files, and there's so much between the noise floor of the software and the quietest sound actually in the files that it doesn't appear to really matter. It sounds the same to me at -2 and -20 if you set the mixer so it's outputting the same, except that there's more of the mixer in it when Traktor's signal is really low and more of a chance of clipping as it gets hotter.

As long as you're never clipping and never using Traktor's limiter, wherever you have it set is fine.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

I mix externally with a xone:62 and use AutoGain, 0 headroom, output at like -14ish. The channel gains on my xone wind up around 2-3 o'clock most of the time with the master set so things peak around 0dB. I don't remember where my monitor gains are set, but they're set for a comfortable voulme. +6 is way too loud for my room, and I like for the master meter to mean something.
    What I'm reading more and more about it that 0dB is, is really where you want your levels to be. And re-reading this thread, I see you infact referenced your masters at 0dB!

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I use auto gain because it's easier. It doesn't really make a difference, since I always check it with the meters on m xone anyway.

As for -6 vs. -14…yeah, I just set it there so I never have to think about it clipping. I'm using 24 bit output and 16 bit files, and there's so much between the noise floor of the software and the quietest sound actually in the files that it doesn't appear to really matter. It sounds the same to me at -2 and -20 if you set the mixer so it's outputting the same, except that there's more of the mixer in it when Traktor's signal is really low and more of a chance of clipping as it gets hotter.

As long as you're never clipping and never using Traktor's limiter, wherever you have it set is fine.
    It was my misconception, that auto-gain took care of the work for you. Now, paying extra close attention to levels, I notice that it's not the "perfect" solution. Most every mix I find myself adjusting the gain on, to match that playing. I'll still opt for playing with it on, because you say it requires for less adjustments.

Interesting read: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/03...evel-settings/