Can you help a noob out?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Can you help a noob out?

My friend wants me to DJ our New Years Eve party with him, but I don't have a controller. I'm not trying to DJ professionally, just for fun with my friends on occasion. I've read the reviews of a lot of them within my price range, but I can't decide and wanted a little extra help. Right now I'm looking at

Numark MIXTRACK DJ Controller
    Gemini DJ FIRSTMIX Midi Software Controller
    ION Audio iCUE3 Discover DJ System
    Hercules DJ Control MP3 E2

And I'd be using them with Virtual DJ Home Edition on my iMac (yes, Im lugging my iMac to his house). Thanks for the help guys.

Tech Mentor

I would take out the Gemini, and the ION. Just choose between the Mixtrack and the MP3E2, first off, instead of the mixtrack, you could get the mixtrack pro which is better and brings the audio interface, although its more expensive. The Mixtrack Pro is way better than the MP3 E2, but bigger and heavier. If you want something small and portable, the MP3E2 is your thing. If not, you should definitely buy the Mixtrack Pro.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

mixtrack pro or mixtrack+auddio2dj

Tech Mentor

i have no knowledge about those controllers... but i'd like to know what your budget is? .. maybe i can assist you on other options.

I have the Hercules DJ Control MP3 E2 and I love it. Very easy to set up, and its pretty sturdy. Cheap, portable, and a great beginners controller. Its only downside is that it does not come with a sound card.
    House/Electro House
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DJGoodSamaritan
    My Blog: http://musicoverpeople.com

Tech Guru

in that group. The mixtrack.

Or bring your music on a USB drive with your music, plug in, and just DJ using whatever your friend has. No need to bring iMac or buy a controller. Use the next few days to practice on his set-up.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Either the Mixtrack + a audio interface, or a Mixtrack Pro. Or like someone else said, put your music on an external HDD and DJ using his setup.

keyboard + mouse
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Mixtrack...it works great for the price.. but is all plastic...

Tech Student

My budget is between 100-150 but I wanted to keep it as low as possible since I just bought my mom a Mac Mini for Christmas.

But thanks for all the suggestions. I'd practice on my friend's rig but he's always at work this time of year since he works at Best Buy. Our other friends work at a Guitar Center but the store tracks what they use their discounts on so I'm stuck paying full price or I'd grab that Mixtrack Pro.
    Last edited by Kelm; 12-26-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast