Really need advice/chatter
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard Filthsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    50

    Default Really need advice/chatter

    Hey guys, yet another thread where I'm looking for advice (does seem to be beneficial to ask here right enough).

    Some of you may know that I'm currently in the market for monitors, particularly the KRK RP series. I've been trying to research the old versus between 5's and 6's, but I simply cannot come to a conclusion. Hell, these might not even be the monitors for me.



    Probably excessive, but this is the layout of the room where these will be put to use.

    Is there anyone here who has/had both and can shed some light on which ones are best for me? Or, has anyone got rid of these for something in same region price wise?

    I plan to invest in the 10" KRK sub (haven't heard anything negative about that so far), so even though the 5's may lack in low range, the sub should hopefully compensate for that.

    If anyone can suggest an alternative ACTIVE monitor, please do so. I'm hearing a lot of chatter about Yamaha monitors, mixed bag with them though...

    Cheers in advanced
    Last edited by Filthsky; 12-26-2011 at 09:08 PM.

  2. #2
    DJTT Scribe Mod smiTTTen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Then: UK. Now: US.
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    You might want to share a little about what you are going to be using these monitors for.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

  3. #3
    RGAS Guru Xonetacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    What's your budget? Why would you want the 5s over the 6s?

    In that price range it is the Yamahas and the KRKs. Both sound pretty good, the yamaha matching powered sub is only 8" vs the KRK 10" sub for about the same price. The Yamaha monitors sound pretty good though.

  4. #4
    Tech Wizard Filthsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    You might want to share a little about what you are going to be using these monitors for.
    Mostly dubstep, DnB and electro. I'd like to think that the equipment I buy is suitable for most genres though.

    EDIT: Should also add that I will be mostly mixing, but I hope to re-enter the world of production when funds allow for programs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    What's your budget? Why would you want the 5s over the 6s?

    In that price range it is the Yamahas and the KRKs. Both sound pretty good, the yamaha matching powered sub is only 8" vs the KRK 10" sub for about the same price. The Yamaha monitors sound pretty good though.
    The only reason I haven't already bought the 6's is because I've heard numerous times that 5's with a 10" sub works perfectly, negating the 6's. I guess my predicament is whether to buy a pair of 5's with a 10" sub following closely, or to buy 6's and wait longer for the sub.

    Will the 6's really be worth the wait, or should I just opt for the 5's (generation 2 mind) and have a robust setup sooner rather than later?

    Don't really want to spend more than 300 on a pair as I still have other stuff to buy, but I'll stretch over if the benefits are worth it.
    Last edited by Filthsky; 12-27-2011 at 11:29 AM.

  5. #5
    Tech Wizard Filthsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    50

    Default

    No one?

    Can see myself just taking the plunge and ordering a pair of 5's tonight. Over a week of decision making and I'm still lost!
    CDJ800mk2 | DJM800 | CDJ800mk2

  6. #6
    DJTT Scribe Mod smiTTTen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Then: UK. Now: US.
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    If you do even a little research you will find a TON of information on the monitors you are looking at. The thing about it is, it will be your ears that will be doing the listening so you should go an listen to them.

    I am not convinced that you even want monitors given your concern over bass response. Monitors are designed to provide a flatter response in order to give a more accurate image of the sound being delivered. You really need to go and listen to stuff.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard Filthsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    If you do even a little research you will find a TON of information on the monitors you are looking at. The thing about it is, it will be your ears that will be doing the listening so you should go an listen to them.

    I am not convinced that you even want monitors given your concern over bass response. Monitors are designed to provide a flatter response in order to give a more accurate image of the sound being delivered. You really need to go and listen to stuff.
    I'm well aware that it's more to do with the user. That's a moot point.

    My concern is whether or not splashing out extra cash for RP6's will be worth it for what I need. I guess I should have made that more clear.

    I just don't want to buy a pair of 5's wishing I had opted for the 6's. There's a reason why monitors are cheaper/more expensive than others, that's why I'm here looking for advice.
    CDJ800mk2 | DJM800 | CDJ800mk2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •