Looking for a mixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Looking for a mixer

Sorry if this is inappropriate. I've been lurking here for a bit, and I think I have a good grasp of what I'm looking for, but I thought I'd see what kind of suggestions came up here.

Trying to figure out to do with some Christmas/birthday cash. Been hoping a mixer would come up in the buy/sell thread or on my local CL.

Currently using a DJM-500, Traktor Scratch Pro 2 with an Audio DJ8 soundcard on a MacBook Pro (made in early 2011), Allen & Heath Xone:XD53's, a couple PDX-2000's and 2 QSC K12's.

Been looking at a DJM-800, something Allen & Heath, or possibly a DN-X1600. Price point isn't as important as quality, usabality, and sound quality. I don't want to buy a mixer again for a long time.

I've been using TSP for a year and am starting to play out a small bit. I like hip hop, many varieties of electronic and house, but when playing out it seems the stuff that goes over best is top 40 from 1970 forward.

I'd love to hear your recommendations and about your experiences.

Thanks all

It might help peeps recommend you a mixer if you can tell us how you feel limited with the DJM500 - it's a good mixer?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

Good point, sorry about that.

I'd like the ability to use TSP2 effects and their control knobs through the mixer, control cueing up songs to decks, and just control TSP2 more quickly through the mixer. Using the keyboard and track pad of the laptop feels like a lot of extra work.

It'd be nice if the mixer were TSP2 certified so I could forego the external sound card, but I'm not set on that.

I'm new to all of this and would like to (more easily) control the functions of the software and move forward from basic beatmatching.

Hopefully that helps.

Tech Guru

I have a great condition Ecler Nuo-4 mixer for sale. Was thinking $600 OBO.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Wizard

Dn-x1600 is traktor scratch certified and has midi switch buttons on each channel that you could map out to effects on traktor

Tech Wizard

Dj Asand- Just read about the Ecler Nuo-4 and think I'll pass on that for now. Thanks for the offer.

Duke -Those are the reasons I was considering the Dn-x1600. I've read and watched a couple reviews, does anyone have any first hand experience with one?

I owned the 1700 for a while and can't say much bad about it. TSP integration was awesome, you just plug in and fiddle with the settings and you're off. I imagine the 1600 is pretty similar. Sound quality through the headphone jack was crap but through the main outs the mixer sounded fantastic. Some cool effects and decent sounding filters too. MIDI control was relatively straightforward.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

If four channels isn't a necessity, perhaps a Rane Empath?

I've got both models (rotary and fader) and -to my ears - they cane the A&H and Pioneer mixers. Could be a placebo, but imagine it's beacuse the signal path is entirely analog.

Otherwise (if it were me) I'd be looking for an older Vestax mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamfs01 View Post
    Good point, sorry about that.

I'd like the ability to use TSP2 effects and their control knobs through the mixer, control cueing up songs to decks, and just control TSP2 more quickly through the mixer. Using the keyboard and track pad of the laptop feels like a lot of extra work.

It'd be nice if the mixer were TSP2 certified so I could forego the external sound card, but I'm not set on that.

I'm new to all of this and would like to (more easily) control the functions of the software and move forward from basic beatmatching.

Hopefully that helps.
    Well, I think what you really want is a controller to complement your setup rather than a new mixer (not saying a new mixer is not a nice thing - it always is ). Kontrol X1 is what first comes to mind when reading your requirements. Sure, a mixer with MIDI functionality could serve that purpose as well and Scratch certification would keep the cable clutter at your desk at minimum. But you lose quite a bit of portability with a setup like that, so you should maybe consider if/how often you plan to play out.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

^^ +1 on NI X1, thatll add a lot of traktor functionality right there.

I think the denon fits the bill but i just couldnt bring myself to buy a denon (dunno why am sure its good, just in built snobbery) i'd go Pioneer or A&H or RANE or Vestax.

I got a 2nd hand DJM800 and think it's decent mixer.
    Last edited by MaxOne; 12-27-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast