Can we mod Vestax Spin and Serato DJ Intro
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Can we mod Vestax Spin and Serato DJ Intro

I'm wondering if anyone has mod experience to make a Vestax Spin change it's midi messaging to a Vestax typhoon so people can use Serato's DJ Intro with the Vestax Spin. Just an idea.

I would have though that the MIDI messaging would be the same between the two units and that Intro is using the device ID to identify the Typhoon vs the Spin so I'm not sure if it'd work.

Serato told me it's hard coded and not user hackable.

DJWORX
    - The very best DJ gear news, reviews and opinion

it should be related to the SysEx I.D. that is a part of the firmware, check with vestax if you can swap firmwares between the two versions, I remember reading on the spin a while ago and someone was saying you can make them work on windows with firmware update, I was on the internet though so not sure if it'll work, but worth a try
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Convert

Thanks skratchworx, that's good to know. Thanks for checking with them. I was trying to find an alternative to selling the vestax, I prefer serato's layout since I use it for serious gigs.

Tech Convert

I am wondering if this could work. On the mac there is a tool in the utilities folder called Audio Midi Setup. Why not change the name of the SPIN to be "TYPHOON DJ - Controller". This should trick the software into thinking you have a Typhoon and not a Spin. You could also look into using a binary file editor to replace the word TYPHOON with SPIN. Most of these recognitions are done using just the name any. Its just a thought and worth a try.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by audible View Post
    Thanks skratchworx, that's good to know. Thanks for checking with them. I was trying to find an alternative to selling the vestax, I prefer serato's layout since I use it for serious gigs.
    Serato DJ Intro, it is Serious Business

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    Serato DJ Intro, it is Serious Business
    yes. i prefer scratch live's layout to anything else out there. be nice if i could use it on the midi controller on the go instead of my full layout.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by audible View Post
    yes. i prefer scratch live's layout to anything else out there. be nice if i could use it on the midi controller on the go instead of my full layout.
    Did you try the idea I posted? I am sure it will work.

Tech Convert

hard coded means that the matching string i.e. the name of the device is coded in the binary. Binary editors allow you to find the string and change it. This is a trick that has been used in other settings many times before, and successfully.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast