Lighting for a 50's era dance.
    Tech Student

Default Lighting for a 50's era dance.

Hi,

I'm looking to do a 50's era dance and want to keep my lighting as era appropriate as I can; so obviously I can't use my lasers.

None of my research so far gives me many ideas as to lighting. I did find a page that said "Traditional 1950’s party colors tend to be: pink, white, silver and black." so I can use my par cans as accent lighting around the room, but I'm not sure how to light the dance floor.

I could also use any music ideas; I have a big list from my clients but if anyone has any tips.

A disco ball outta do it.

Watch the movie Grease, oh and American Graffiti
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Mentor

Lighting was limited in the 50's so you could keep it really minimal and just use washes.

As for music, this site is excellent for all years.

The page I have linked gives you an overall top 200 from the 50's as a whole, but you can get a top 100 from each year of the 50's on this site if you want...

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page..._songs50s.html

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

+1 Disco balls everywhere + a few pinspots if you have them.

What kinda 50's scene is the other question, rock n' roll, blues/soul or swing style ala rat pack.

Splurge for a Saturday Night Fever-ish super awesome light dance floor! but really, just keep mood lights and such with no strobes or anything, take into account the price of DJ lights at the time and keep it simple

Tech Mentor

disco balls and pin spots. I think there was less emphasis on lighting in the 50's.