Buying budget studio monitors - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Better off buying used on craigslist if you are near a city, it's worth a shot at least.
    This! Be patient and diligent. It will pay off for you if you do.

I found my Rokit 8s for $200 on Craigslist and they were one of my better purchases this past year.

Isn't the whole idea of studio monitors that they deliver a flat sound instead of a colored warmer sound? EQing to sharp high's or a big boomy bass will deliver weird mixes on other sound systems.

Or am i missing a big point here?

I got myself a pair of behringer truth a1030b for €175. Sound is better than my logitech Z-2300 and waaay better than my jamo 604's with an onkyo 308 receiver.

NI Kontrol S2
    NI Traktor pro 2
    HD 25-1 II
    Behringer B1030A 5"

Tech Wizard

i will always be watching craigslist for a good deal. but in the meantime i need something haha, im killingmyself cause i have one option but i dont want to drive an hour and a half

Quote Originally Posted by ricoot View Post
    Isn't the whole idea of studio monitors that they deliver a flat sound instead of a colored warmer sound? EQing to sharp high's or a big boomy bass will deliver weird mixes on other sound systems.

I got myself a pair of behringer truth a1030b for €175. Sound is better than my logitech Z-2300 and waaay better than my jamo 604's with an onkyo 308 receiver.
    thats what i thought too

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Better off buying used on craigslist if you are near a city, it's worth a shot at least.

Those maudio ones are so-so and a decent deal, I've used them before but I wouldn't buy them for DJing. Any monitors you buy new for $100 a pair is going to be pretty bad. My friend got some $99 m-audio monitors and they are a joke. But really you don't need studio monitors for DJing and on a budget might be better off looking at some other speakers.

I would much rather use a decent 2.1 computer speaker set with a sub for DJing than budget monitors. The Klipsch 2.1 speakers have some pretty good sub bass and sound and I would rather use these any day than budget 4" or 5" monitors.

$89 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProM...item2eba3bd403

You don't need ultra accurate and flat monitors for DJing, in fact I wouldn't want them. That's why I got a sub for my KRKs which I crank up on my DJ setup and before that I used a single 12" powered behringer PA speaker for a little while.
    Just bought those klipsch speakers :x i hope they are good!

You want flat sound for production, it doesn't really matter for DJing and no system you DJ on will be flat.

than i am missing the point .
    But what is the reason 90% is on KRK's or other studio monitors?
    A 2.1 pc speaker set would give me more bass and doesn't give me such a narrow listening space.

NI Kontrol S2
    NI Traktor pro 2
    HD 25-1 II
    Behringer B1030A 5"

But what is the reason 90% is on KRK's or other studio monitors?
    A 2.1 pc speaker set would give me more bass and doesn't give me such a narrow listening space.
    Because they're not that good at being studio monitors.

They're basically powered bookshelf speakers that don't do any processing to specifically screw up the sound like every HiFi system I've ever heard. They're louder than computer speakers, and they're not that much more expensive than "good" computer speakers. And their "sweet spot" is way bigger than real nearfield monitors.

If people were considering Genelec DSP systems for DJ gear, I'd probably be on kiethace's side. But at $300 for the pair, KRK RP5 G2s blow every set of computer speakers I've ever heard out of the water, even without a sub (since that doesn't matter nearly as much for bedroom DJing as people think it does).

I use mine for watching movies more than I use them for DJing or production. I've also used PA systems, home theatre systems, and computer 2.1 speakers. And apart from the hifi made for movies with a sub that could literally shake the frame of the room…the RP5s sound better. And they cost less than anything that comes close. And they're less noisy. And, frankly, I'd bet on the RP10SG2 over that movie/hifi system that shook the walls of that room (it wasn't very big).

Seriously…I have no idea how loud these people are playing that they don't think studio monitors are loud enough. Either their houses are huge or they're going deaf…which would also explain why they can't hear how much hifi systems suck.
    Last edited by mostapha; 12-29-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Sounds fair!
    Never looked at it that way. I bought alesis one MKII's and after the power supply decided to blow up i got a set of B1030A's (cheap ass speakers) just because i thought i "needed" 'm.

silly me.

NI Kontrol S2
    NI Traktor pro 2
    HD 25-1 II
    Behringer B1030A 5"

In my opinion, you're completely right rather than missing any point. I got myself a pair of 'studio' monitors as well (M-Audio CX8s), and I can't imagine how any serious DJ would ever choose for some cheap hifi speakers over these.
    Yes, they may not give the biggest oomph and they may not reach frequencies as low as a sub does, but these actually learn you to appreciate the music the way it was meant to sound like. And that is what a DJ wants, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sublim&All View Post
    ...but these actually learn you to appreciate the music the way it was meant to sound like. And that is what a DJ wants, right?
    As a person creating music? Yes. As a DJ? Never. It really comes down to what you want to do as a DJ personally I guess.
    Me? I wan't to play music on warm colorful sound systems in club and lounge atmospheres where the music is warm and full of bass. Because of that, I like to play at home on a system that most closely resembles a night club sound system... clear, but plenty of low end with an overall warm sound.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast