My Timecode Options?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default My Timecode Options?

READ IF YOU LIKE
    So I have a VMS4 that I use timecodes on with my turntables. I bought Virtual DJ just for the timecode support with my VMS4. I've had this problem with it ever since I started using the timecodes. The problem is like this random skipping or what you could call "scrubbing" through the song. It's hard to explain, here's a very good example of what I'm talking about http://soundcloud.com/roshanbhoj. Go to the "DJ Ro Thanksgiving Mix 2011" and go to 8:44. Also it skips ahead a few seconds randomly. I've talked to VDJ support MANY times and the problem still happens. Last week I got really excited because I thought it was fixed but it wasn't. It just doesn't happen as often but introduced various pitch problems. I figured out that it's actually a pitch issue that makes it do it because the pitch messes up and then VDJ tries to catch up to where it should be. Kind of a like a lag but I'm 99% percent sure it's a pitch problem in the VDJ.

READ HERE FOR SHORT VERSION OF ABOVE
    I have a club gig tomorrow, the day after that, and New Years Eve and I'll be playing for 5 hours each night. I planned to use my setup of my VMS4 and timecodes on my Stanton turntables using VDJ but I can't(because of the problem described above). My question is, what are the softwares that support this timecode setup? I have Serato timecodes, and the VMS4 is the soundcard and mixer. I know Mixx and Deckadance are maybe options but I haven't looked into it enough. I can download the demo if it allows you to use timecodes in the trial period. All I need is a temporary solution. I have less then 24 hours to figure out a solution. Thanks!
    Last edited by roshanbhoj; 12-28-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Tech Mentor

I would suggest mixvibes. It's integration is really tight. I love it, and the price is yet to be beaten. Only problem is that you need matching control vinyls, but the software can be downloaded off the website. Try a local dj store. If you live in atlana, go to beatlabs/
    I AM A DISK JERKER

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I wouldn't play live (specially on NYE) with new software and a setup you can't test and debug throughly with such short notice.

My advice is skip timecode and play it safe.

PS: are your needles and records clean and in good condition?

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I wouldn't play live (specially on NYE) with new software and a setup you can't test and debug throughly with such short notice.

This.

It's one of the main reasons I see the value in investing in a solid mixer/dvs combo. Be it Serato, or Traktor. I know people have loves for other software choices... but for DVS support (time-code) I wouldn't look any other place.

I'd just play it safe man. Either that, or go out and buy a Serato box tonight :P
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Yeah man as i was writing my post i was mentally thinking "just use your vms4 man..."
    I AM A DISK JERKER

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys. Well I really would like to use my turntables because it is a club gig and I'm trying to impress the owners. I told them I have a full setup of a midi controller and turntables. I guess that's what I'll have to do though and just use the VMS4. I'm going to test out Mixxx and Deckadance, all night if I have to and see if it's stable enough to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post

Yeah they are. Bought everything in mint condition. I'm certain it's in the software of VDJ though. Just close to impossible to fix it.

I'd say try mixxx first. It got very solid in the last few releases. They even re-wrote the DVS engine.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    I'd say try mixxx first. It got very solid in the last few releases. They even re-wrote the DVS engine.
    Yeah I've heard that. I just can't get the sound setup/configure thing with my VMS4 right! Where you assign the channels in prefs. It shouldn't be different than any other software. I just have to assign Master, Headphones, Deck A, Deck B, and Mic all to a pair of channels. I just don't get it...

I use serato cv02 records in vdj just fine, have you gone throught the timecode config? if so post pictures of your signal, it should be as close to a perfect circle as you can get, make sure if you are using the correct timecode engine for the records you are using, and always config the signal individually by choosing "line 1" "line 2"

left/right
    - will make the signal stretch/squash top and bottom

phase/anti - will stretch/squash diagnal left to right

gain - will increase the size of the signal

silence - will stop any noises like bass from affecting the timecode signal
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Wow thanks man. I've had support help me out with that and I've had different settings from each chat support agent. I'll set it up like that and hopefully it helps. Can someone post the ASIO config?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast