The right speakers?
    Tech Mentor

Default The right speakers?

Hello, Guys
    I really would like some help, me dilemma is that I want to find the right speakers for me, I want to get powered speakers that are good/loud enough speakers for small backyard gigs, and I don't won't the speakers to be really big and i don't won't to blow out on money maybe under $1000.

So quickly, powered speakers, Loud/ big enough for small backyard gigs, not to big and under $1000 ( I know I'm very picky but any help would be greatly appriciated

I was also looking at these speakers are they any good :http://http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/pro-dj/audioline/2-way-15-inch-powered-pa-speakers-sku-17690/
    Last edited by Dj Havik; 12-29-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

I bought a pair of speaker on eBay ($500, passive but came with an amp) and they are FANTASTIC! I recently got a $500 sub to go with them, but I guess that's not in your size requirements :P

But from what I've heard at parties in the past, mackie thumps pack a punch, an you can get a pair of 12 or 15 inch cabinets for under a grand (Australian, but I guess you could find similar prices where ever you are.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Havik View Post
    Hello, Guys
    I really would like some help, me dilemma is that I want to find the right speakers for me, I want to get powered speakers that are good/loud enough speakers for small backyard gigs, and I don't won't the speakers to be really big and i don't won't to blow out on money maybe under $1000.

So quickly, powered speakers, Loud/ big enough for small backyard gigs, not to big and under $1000 ( I know I'm very picky but any help would be greatly appriciated

I was also looking at these speakers are they any good :http://http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/pro-dj/audioline/2-way-15-inch-powered-pa-speakers-sku-17690/
    I got a powered sub/sat system that sounds good... you might want to consider one of those. I have the Carlsbro Tytan

but there are others available. (Peavey Triflex, B-52 Matrix 1000). The nice thing about these systems is that for transport, the subwoofer gets up-ended onto it's castors (or a castorboard), and the 2 satellite speakers sit on top, and the whole thing can be rolled around. Like this:

The Subwoofer is still a little large though (mine has a 15" driver). Those speakers which you pointed to in your post also have 15" drivers, so I think you may find that those speakers are a little larger than they look in the pic (the pic of my system also looks small, but that subwoofer is pretty big (need to be with a 15" & amps in it)).

I have heard good things about the B-52 Matrix, but it's subwoofer is heavy. Have a look on youtube to get an idea of sizes of some 15's that you were looking at and a 15" sub/sat system. Seeing them against a person will demonstrate the size of the things! NOTE: Working out the size of speakers with a ruler (sizes taken from specs) doesn't usually give you the appreciation of how big they are... yeah you can say it's yay tall and yay wide and yay deep, but all of the systems that I went to see were bigger than the size I had imagined based on manufacturers specs.

Personally, I would buy second hand, as your speakers will get beat up, so after a few gigs, new ones will look like second hand anyway. If you do, make sure that YOU can play around the speakers for a bit, not the seller - I didn't do this, and noticed when I got home that one of the tweeters crackled... a 5 minute fix in the end, but I think that the seller knew of this and demo'd them in such a way that it would not notice! Try to take a sound source with a hi/mid/lo kill so that you can test just the tweeters by killing the mids & lows etc (or just take a few tunes on an ipod where you have knocked out the hi's mid's & lo's beforehand).

That's my 2 cents. Enjoy it whatever you buy... I'll tell you, going downstairs and giving my PA some stick never fails to put a massive grin on my face!!!

PC/Mhac, Traktor 2, Citronic MP-X10, 2 x Kam KCD450, Behringer BCD3000, Echo Audio Layla 3G, Numark EM-460 w/Kaoss Pad, Shure C606, Carlsbro Tytan PA, Turbosound TXD121 12" Tops, Reloop RHP-20
    http://soundcloud.com/escapemcp

Tech Mentor

A pair of RCF Art 312A's would fit the bill nicely.