How can I adjust the volume in a mix?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How can I adjust the volume in a mix?

Hey guys, I jusit made a mix, but I can hear that some of the songs are a bit too high, so I would like to make them sound equal to the rest of the mix. How can I do that, without redoing the whole mixtape again?

I've heard something about ableton live 8, but I can't find any video of it on youtube. I'm a beginner.

Best Regards, Jack H.

Tech Mentor

what you are looking for is to normalize your track...i believe audacity can do this and it is free
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Tech Wizard

Thank you, I think I can hear some difference in the mixtape. I was wondering if I can at a specific point raise the volume, since at one point I screwed up and lowered the volume for about 0,2 seconds. Is there any way to fix that easily or is it just easier to redo the whole mix?

Thanks for answering.

Best regards, Jack H.

Tech Wizard

As Gapout said you can use Audacity to fix the volume issue whether it is 2 secs or a whole song. You can highlight and fix whatever you need. Its free. Depending on what program you used to record the mix you might be able to fix it in that also. I am using LMMS to do some recording right now and it allows me to fix volume issues as I go along.
    MMM Making Music With Food. Yep! Taste good and sound good too!

gain knob. thats what its there for.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

^^^this, also adjusting ur mids, highs accordingly will help blend ur transition smoothly

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Unless the gain difference is really small, it would be better to record it again. Might sound like extra work but it will help you practice.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

While I agree that you "maybe" should do the mix again, I know how difficult it can be to get one sounding just the way you like, especially starting off (when you want to spread it around and get some feedback).

Anyhoo, the above mentioned tool - Audacity - will do the trick for you, a little bit of compression never hurts a mix either IMHO and gets it sounding chunky and evenly mixed

Tech Wizard

Okey, I actully think I Will record the mixtape over again, but I've heard something about ableton that makes your mix sound "better" , I believe it has a word,but I don't know.

Thanks for the answers

Best regards Jack H

Tech Wizard

Compression you say, that might be what I'm thinking of. What does it do anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast