Two iPads and a mixer- surprisingly fun and easy to DJ with...

Default Two iPads and a mixer- surprisingly fun and easy to DJ with...

I've been playing around with DJing with two ipads and a mixer just for the fun of it and so far I am very impressed.

I'm just running djay for iphone on each ipad in the single deck flipped view so I have a bigger pitch fader and nudge buttons. Unfortunately the regular djay for ipad app doesn't have the flipped deck mode so the pitch fader and nudge buttons are way too small to beatmatch with. Each ipad functions as a deck and I just ignore the second internal deck and mixer stuff in djay.

I mean yeah it's kind of a gimmick and I'm not about to ditch my main setup but I've been very surprised with how usable it is. Beatmatching with buttons is a little strange but it's kind of like using an X1 except you have a pitch fader. It's definitely fun and if there was a better app to nudge tracks it could be a very usable setup.

If anything it's a nice break from traktor and makes me want to get some CDJs really really bad since it's a lot of fun and nice to be away from the laptop.

Anyone else try a setup like this and are there any better apps that replicate a DJ deck or CDJ type thing?

Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-30-2011 at 08:11 PM.

That looks pretty sick. Looks like a lot of fun....
    But I can't justify buying two iPads, when I could get other, more functional controllers cheaper
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

[youtube]UdeIZPqblPk[/youtube]

If you don't know Drop Goblin, he's one of the guys on Play Me 2. Awesome producer.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

I'm more fascinated with the DB4 in the middle!

Tech Mentor

Xone, do you have a soundcloud page??

Quote Originally Posted by herlsy View Post
    Xone, do you have a soundcloud page??
    I have this bad habit of deleting everything on it every month or so...

http://soundcloud.com/dsmiv

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I've been playing around with DJing with two ipads and a mixer just for the fun of it and so far I am very impressed.

I'm just running djay for iphone on each ipad in the single deck flipped view so I have a bigger pitch fader and nudge buttons. Unfortunately the regular djay for ipad app doesn't have the flipped deck mode so the pitch fader and nudge buttons are way too small to beatmatch with. Each ipad functions as a deck and I just ignore the second internal deck and mixer stuff in djay.

I mean yeah it's kind of a gimmick and I'm not about to ditch my main setup but I've been very surprised with how usable it is. Beatmatching with buttons is a little strange but it's kind of like using an X1 except you have a pitch fader. It's definitely fun and if there was a better app to nudge tracks it could be a very usable setup.

If anything it's a nice break from traktor and makes me want to get some CDJs really really bad since it's a lot of fun and nice to be away from the laptop.

Anyone else try a setup like this and are there any better apps that replicate a DJ deck or CDJ type thing?

thats a pretty sweet setup i use cd's

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    This!
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    I can't keep my eyes of the rat's nest behind it all. At least it's got decent mood lighting.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

nice equipment it ain't more than a gimmick, though. tactile feedback ftw