CallDom's Setup
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CallDom's Setup

Tech Wizard

Default CallDom's Setup

Hey Guys,

this is a little evolution of my setup, starting with back in 2008-2009 with a Numark Stealth Control and djio on Traktor.

shortly after finding djtechtools i grabbed a nano pad so i could start messing around with cue points and some effect mapping

In April 2010 i bought myself a pretty rad birthday present in the form of 2x Numark V7s, and a very temporary Numark crappy 2-channel mixer.

I and many others were waiting for the Numark X7 to come out, and when it never did i jumped on a DDM4000 for pretty cheap.

The V7s are amazing, however were not practical to take to a club, where we would usually just be using a standard 1000s and 800 mixer combo, soon after i started playing clubs i got a MBP, and for when i wanted to take the laptop to the club i got Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and an X1, and sort of went back to the stealth control to get back into the Traktor workflow..

I think it was really the Control Vinyls that came with TSP2 that got me thinking about turntables, using traktor at a club with cdjs was becoming to much of a hassle and i would usually just take cds, so i decided to sell the V7s to a mate and grabbed some Stanton Srt8-150s about a month or 2 ago.

i feel like the vinyl is a way more tactile way of controlling TSP2 than cds, even though i have only had the turntables a bit i am already finding that i prefer it even over just cds at the club.

I have been following the Setup threads pretty closely, and the whole Ikea idea seemed pretty damn awesome to me, even more so after the article came out. So for Christmas this year i got some Behringer Truth Monitors, and a trip up to Ikea to grab some bits and pieces. Yesterday Dad came over and we built this together. I am pretty in love with it, and am only taking a quick break to share this with you guys before jumping back on for the rest of the day. A few build pics and the final setup below...

Some Capita Legs, the size 16cm on the expedit

I went for the Vika Amon tabletop so i could go battle with the TTs, i wanted to knock about 150mm off however so it fit better, and we found that only the ends where table legs would screw in were solid (not good for attaching the shelf above the table!!)

Luckily, we were able to salvage the solid ends from the offcut piece and mount it in to take the angled capita legs to hold the shelf

So here is the finished product, while i was still hooking up all the cable. I put in the Dioder to finish it off, as i find it hard to mix without led lights blinking different colours at me.

Here are some nice shots of it, i do have another x1 to put in for some symmetry and sample deck control, but before i start playing with sample decks, i need to master TT mixing and such.

SETUP UPDATE!

Gots some new gear, doesnt all sit up there at once always, usually just the 2 cdjs and a turntable, or just 2 turntables depending what im mixing. Pretty sure im done for the moment, going to start on my production gear collection now.

belkin usb hub, not finding i need to plug it in to p

Last edited by Call_Dom; 08-24-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Really nice setup. In the process of building my setup with the expedit units an vika amon tops. Not the same build as you, but sweet none-the-less.

Were the lights from ikea too? Had a look for some earlier but didn't see any.
    CDJ800mk2 | DJM800 | CDJ800mk2

Tech Mentor

Nice set up and loving The Warriors album

One of my favourite films...

[youtube]nT8WHcrnqYg[/youtube]

Tech Mentor

Nice clean stand you built there. How is the Vika Amon top attached to the capita legs?

Tech Wizard

@Filthsky - Yea, lights are from ikea and called DIODER... they were like $70 AUD but i think worth it.. they had other ones that didn't change colour for cheaper as well..

@Capitan - I know man, definitely one of my faves, practically did a backflip when i found the Soundtrack

@Hersly - I was going to recess the bottom of the vika amon, but because it is not solid all the way through it would not have worked.. it just sits on there, the rubber feet of the legs hold it in place, and the weight of the gear makes it so you cant move the table at all, ive rocked it backwards and forwards and it doesn't move so im pretty happy

Tech Student

just a question, would you recommend the DDM4000? Im about to buy one but im not very sure...

the obey vinyl looks sooo sexy. any link to where you got it?

Tech Wizard

@A-Med - The DDM4000 has treated me really well. It sounds awesome and has lasted a bit of bashing in the couple of years that i have had it. If you can find a deal like i did, dont hesitate, I bought it for $250 and put in an X1 infinium fader for about $80, that new fader is a MUST!

@Abstrakt - They are Clear Traktor Control Vinyls on the Obey Sicmats, here are links to where i bought them, however im sure you could find them on ebay or other online dj stores.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SIC-OBEY

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-TRKSCVCL

Tech Student

What is the size of your vika amon?.. The height of one expedit when on its side is 58 5/8".
    I was looking on the ikea site and they had one with a width of 59" for $35 and one with 47 1/4" for $20 (which seems a little too small to fit the expedit.) So is it the $35 vika amon? Just wondering because I saw many links leading to the $20 vika amon and I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_Dom View Post

@Abstrakt - They are Clear Traktor Control Vinyls on the Obey Sicmats, here are links to where i bought them, however im sure you could find them on ebay or other online dj stores.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SIC-OBEY

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-TRKSCVCL

obey slipmats here as well...
    http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equip...204/54083.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast