Easier to use Itch or Traktor
    Tech Convert

Default Easier to use Itch or Traktor

I am a play at home DJ looking to mess around. Want something easy that I can just jump on every once in awhile and jam. Don't want to map knobs and want as little setup as possible.

Would prefer not have to create beat grids or anything if I don't have to but if I do want a easier intuiative solution.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by evanb View Post
    Don't want to map knobs and want as little setup as possible.
    Itch is usually more intuitive as it is married to the hardware. It is also favored because if often works within ten minutes of opening the box for the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by evanb View Post
    Would prefer not have to create beat grids or anything.
    Not necessary if you can beatmatch by ear already

Tech Mentor

Itch, hands down

Tech Convert

Cool, I started off many many years ago on 1200s with vinyl and then CDJs but have been out of the game. I only learned how to beat match by ear so sounds like itch is way to go.

Now just have to decide which controller..does itch have a good amount of gx, are the fx any good?

Tech Guru

Most Itch controllers are designed to give you the same workflow experience as two decks and a mixer, whether CDJ or TT's. The FX are decent, but good enough to add some spice to your set. If your not an FX junkie, the basics work well (delay, reverb, filter).

Also a huge overhaul was done on the program itself recently. I expect more Scratch Live features to start finding themselves to Itch soon.

I'm a big fan of Itch. It's plug and play and it just works. I'd wait a few weeks until after Winter NAMM. Sounds like a new controller could be on it's way and perhaps some updates to Itch. If you want the TT feel - get an NS7. The thing is build solid and sounds awesome, just kinda big. If you want a smaller set up, the NS6 and DDJ-S1 are your CD type controllers. If your on a tight budget look for used VCI-300's or a Xone DX.

Really depends what you want to spend.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Convert

So what would be more difficult with traktor say with a s2? Isn't the s2 integrated with traitor like itch is with the twitch?

Going to echo what have324 has said above. I absolutely love Itch. Seeing that you have vinyl and CDJ experience, here are the controllers I would recommend to you:

NS7: motorized platters, vinyl feel, large (not ideal for mobile use)
    NS6: non-motorized platters (feel amazing), large for mobile use although ppl do it
    DDJ-S1: closest to the pioneer CDJ + mixer feel (CDJ 350/400), medium size, $$$
    VCI-300mkII: smallest footprint (extremely mobile), great platters. Many say the VCI-300 is the best controller for the vinyl feel (besides the NS7 of course). On promo till today, haha, for $500 + free VFX-1 unit.

I just bought the VCI-300mkII yesterday. I was seriously considering the DDJ-S1, but looked at my needs and portability was the winning factor. I was using the Xone DX for a while and I loved that unit as well. I wanted to get into some scratching though and realized over time that I do not need 4 channels.

Look at how mobile you want to be, what your budget is, and then make your decision.

Itch is awesome man. Good luck!

Another option is wait to see what comes out at NAMM. Itch supposedly has something up its sleeves! Just remember though, whatever is shown at NAMM won't come out for a couple months. Plus every new controller always has its initial bugs.

Also, here's the Itch forum. Do some searches for these controllers and you'll get more insight! http://serato.com/forum/area/23

Gluck!

I just bought a Xone: DX at my local guitar center for $469. Go check yours stat! I saw it online for 499, but I just checked and it's back up to 1299??
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |