S2 question

Thread: S2 question

Tech Convert

Default S2 question

Hey guys I'm sorry if this is a bad thread to start but I really need an answer. I just bought an S2 and I haven't opened it. I want to start DJing my own parties because I love bringing people together for music. Is the S2 too much for what I want to do? I bought it from GuitarCenter for $499 because they were having a new years clearance. If anyone could answer this I would greatly appreciate it.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

The S2 would do the job nicely, it's not overkill. Enjoy your new controller.

Tech Convert

I think it's absolutely perfect for what you bought it for, same purpose I bought mine for too.

The S4 seemed like overkill for me in both features and size. Cheaper controllers like the Mixtrack, Reloop models, American Audio, etc, didn't have the same quality feel and finish to the S2's knobs, buttons and jogs. Then I noticed so much support/mappings/information about them on the internet it seemed like a no brainer with a good support network for any questions and issues you might have.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by jambo View Post
    I think it's absolutely perfect for what you bought it for, same purpose I bought mine for too.

The S4 seemed like overkill for me in both features and size. Cheaper controllers like the Mixtrack, Reloop models, American Audio, etc, didn't have the same quality feel and finish to the S2's knobs, buttons and jogs. Then I noticed so much support/mappings/information about them on the internet it seemed like a no brainer with a good support network for any questions and issues you might have.

Enjoy

+1

The jogs are real nice, just wished it had a dedicated filter and longer pitch faders (i like to beat mach manually)
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

Tech Wizard

I just got mine from Guitar Center as well too. I contemplated between the S2 and S4 but given my experience I opted for the S2 to get pass all the learning curve of both software and hardware before tackling a bigger beast.

I started with Numark Mixtrack but out grew it pretty fast due to software limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by tararan View Post
    I just got mine from Guitar Center as well too. I contemplated between the S2 and S4 but given my experience I opted for the S2 to get pass all the learning curve of both software and hardware before tackling a bigger beast.

I started with Numark Mixtrack but out grew it pretty fast due to software limitation.
    +1 This is the same reason I got an s2 instead of an s4, Im brand new to DJing and the traktor software so I didn't want to be in over my head in the beginning.

Tech Convert

Thank you guys so much for the replies! I finally opened and played around with my S2 tonight and really enjoyed it! I'm slowly but surely learning how to use the controller and the software. Any tips on effects to use for dubstep and electro-house tunes? Also can someone briefly explain the FX2 effect station? From what I took on it, it is just one effect where you can control the settings, is this right? Also can someone explain the shift button?

Tech Wizard

you can change the FX panel mode into a group mode for your FX 2. Go to preference and then Effects.

for each FX station you can also turn the mode into a single mode with a bit more control over the parameters. You can do this by clicking on Shift + the FX On button.

Tech Convert

Hey guys thanks again for all of your help and responses! I'm actually djing a high school dance at my school. I'm using two 120 watt speakers. That should be enough right? Also any tips on mixing rap and pop? Stuff like lady gags and rhianna.

for a high school disco playing the likes of lady gaga and rihanna you may as well just slam from one track to another.

if they are similar bpms then maybe set up a 4/8 beat loop on the track you wanna bring in, maybe with some vocal. kill the bass and just tease it in during the playing track. then when youre about to switch tracks, end the loop, then within the 4/8 beats get ready to kill the previous track and bring the bass in the new track back up just as the first beat (after the last beat that was in the loop) comes in.

commercial stuff like this noone will be bothered if you dont do anything special, just make sure there are no silences or noticeable clashes!

any commercial gig i do i use virtual dj and the automix feature lol. not looked into it but traktor may have this (although dont rely on auto-beatmatch, just a simple 5 second fade)
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk