Help with sound quality please!
    Tech Mentor

Default Help with sound quality please!

Hi DJTT friends,

Over the holiday I've had a few ideas for remixes/bootlegs. Since I'm using a VCI-300, and Itch records mixes as .wav files, what kind of sound quality loss will I experience if I hit record, use 320 kbps mp3s while also playing samples/other tracks, and then convert the .wav to a 320 kbps mp3 using audacity?

Here is a less wordy way of putting it:
    Mp3_1 Mp3_2
    320 kbps 320 kbps
    *hit "record"
    *mix Mp3_1 and Mp3_2
    *stop recording.
    *take the recording, a .wav file
    *convert it to a 320 kbps mp3 using audacity
    Will there be significant audio quality loss?

Personally, i can't tell the difference between 320 and 256... But then again, that's just me.

If i was you, i wouldn't worry too much, because any loss in audio quality will be barely noticeable, even to the most extreme audiophiles.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Mentor

My main worry is that since I am recording a copy of a copy, the quality may go waaay down.

I am starting with a lossy file, and mixing it with another lossy file. If I record the mix as a lossless file, a .wav file, and then mix the .wav with yet another mp3 to make a final recording, then I will end up with a final file that is "lossless." However, since it was made by combining mp3's, it is not actually lossless.

My question is this; by converting the "lossless" final recording into an mp3 by using audacity, do you think the audio quality of the composition will be less than the mp3's with which I started?

Tech Wizard

The only thing you can do is test it then post the results so we all will know the answer.
    MMM Making Music With Food. Yep! Taste good and sound good too!