Jaydon34's Setup
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Jaydon34's Setup

My 1st setup was 2 vestax pdx-2000s and a vestal 05 pro II running final scratch on a god awful linux computer. I eventually switched to serato due to stability issues with final scratch. Going back to school and planning a wedding really left me no time to spin and my future wife nagged me to ditch my gear. So I eventually did, something I regretted for years to come!!!

It was almost 6 years since I had dj'ed but I started to get that itch again. So with little or no research I ran out and purchased Denon hs-5500 and a crappy mixer to get started.

Being that I primarily spin hip hop the weak scratch emulation and the cue slip were taking a toll on me. I really wanted Denon s3700's but they were really pricey so I jumped on the next best thing a Numark NS7.

Like many people I was skeptical of Numark gear but not anymore the NS7 is the truth. The hardware is solid, feels like a turntable and the itch software is great. With that being said it's not without fault, the effects were bad (not that I use them), the platter was too small and the software lacked many basic features that competitors had.

I finally convinced myself nothing gets better than turntables and serato. So my craigslist hunt began.While I didn't score a serato box, I was able to get a Traktor Audio dj 8 for $150 dollars, more than half the priced of a used SL1 so I figured what the heck give tracktor a shot. $13 control vinyl and I was almost ready to go. Now I just needed a setup, I contemplated one good turntable a decent mixer to hold me over because you can control multiple decks from one source using tracktor. I was mainly looking for a TTX and a vestal o5 pro II, to my dismay they were all really far away. Then I came across a cheap setup, Gemini itt500 and an Ipmx mixer. It was 300 bucks so I pulled the trigger. The tables have no torque but I purchased some butter rugs and will keep looking for the ttx and a decent mixer. Surprisingly the mixer isn't as bad as I thought.

That's my story........... stay tuned for updates!!

8/10/12 - New Photos of Current Setup
    Equipment:
    2 Stanton str8-80
    Numark M6 usb
    Novation Dicers
    M-audio torq conectiv (under Desk)
    Shure M44g

Update 12/26
    I got a new laptop, a dell e4300 along with an x1. Got a new dslr so here is my poor attempt at photography.

Update 5/1/13
    Got a Vestax PMC-06 Pro of ebay for $50 bucks. What a steal!
    I'm searching for some vestax pdx-2000's so I can create my original setup from 2003 otherwise I will just scoop some stanton str8-150's.

Update 5/14/13
    In an effort to clean up my setup I moved it it behind the couch in the living room. I got sick of looking at all those dam wires behind the turntables. I used a malm dressing table from ikea and added wheels for a little height.

Picked a numark ttx-1 original version
    Got if off craiglist for 80 bucks, didn't come with a power cable, tonearm or counter weight though. These tables are notorious for a failing ic chip so I ordered one as well just in case. I will keep you updated on this puppy as it needed some tlc.

Update 5/23/13 SHADY CRAIGLISTER
    I would like to personally thank the shady craiglister whom sold me a non-working Numark ttx-1. Rule number one always trust your gut as I low balled the seller because I had no way of testing the unit as it came without the power cable. I figured worst case scenario I could be honest and list it on ebay for parts if I couldn't fix it or get it fixed for cheap.

Thank god for google after about 20 mins I figured out the symptoms were probably a bad IC chip. I use to mod xbox's back in the day so soldering would be no trouble at all and a replacement IC chip was under $10 dollars shipped.

Took me two days as I took my time considering I've never worked on a turntable before but I was able to get this baby up and running. Grand total the ttx-1 cost me less than 150 bucks to get up and running,$80 for the no working unit, $10 for the ic chip, 18 for a tone arm, 10 for a counter weight and around 25 bucks on soldering equipment.

Karma will get you my friend and thank you for not responding to my texts. If the seller had of responded I would have never tried to fix this and just would have asked for my money back.

Check the pics, sorry for the quality I took this at around midnight MORE PICS ON FLICKR
    I know it's a little mix matched but I plan to get another ttx-1 now that I know how easy they can be fixed.

My rough solder job

UPDATE 6/13/13
    Picked up a traktor z2

UPDATE 8/24/13
    Picked up another broken ttx, got it for super cheap. Cleaned this baby up just waiting on the Ic chip to arrive to perform the fix.
    looking for ttx parts if anyone has them. I need a curved tonearm with counterweight as well as two tone arm clips.

9/6/13 - Added a webcam and mapped my korg nano pad to effects

6/20/14 - should have never sold my setup.

Sold my previous setup due to welcomed addition to our family. As soon as I boxed up my tables and mixer I had so much regret. So after two weeks I was able an amazing deal on a partial setup just to practice.

Scored a perfectly working ttx on ebay for $65 shipped. The seller thought it was broken so it was sold non working for parts only. Little did he know the ttx won't operate if the platter isn't on all the way as a safety feature. Only thing it needed was a counter weight.

Also scored a Stanton sk1 mixer for 50 shipped. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of my former z2 but the stock fader is still pretty nice. I may install a built in sound card just to get rid of all the wires. The one thing I hate is the lack of master cue in the headphones

7/7/14 - another full setup
    Missed my full setup so I got a tt500 off eBay. To be honest like the look of these better than the ttx.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jaydon34; 07-08-2014 at 12:36 AM.

thankfully my wife understands how important my gear is to me and is actually pretty supportive... good luck on the hunt for a ttx

Tech Wizard

Good stuff man. Something is better than nothing. I also started on some Gemini Turntables.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by juan2 View Post
    thankfully my wife understands how important my gear is to me and is actually pretty supportive... good luck on the hunt for a ttx
    My wife gets it now thank god

Quote Originally Posted by dskreet View Post
    Good stuff man. Something is better than nothing. I also started on some Gemini Turntables.
    Im sure i will have ttx in like 3 weeks. I'm kind of spoiled from owning vestax tablesthe torque is driving me nuts.

updates?

Someone had a pair of TTX's on the forum for sale for about $325 for the pair..

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44974

Hope that helps in your search

Tech Mentor

Default Setup Update: 6/2/12

So I finally got around to getting a partial setup sorry for the quality taken at 2am on an iphone.

Equipment:
    Stanton str8-80
    Numark M6 usb
    Novation Dicers
    M-audio torq conectiv
    Shure M44g

Coming soon:
    Traktor F1
    Innofader pro
    Technics mk2 or Str8-150

good stuff! how is the Stanton treating you?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by juan2 View Post
    good stuff! how is the Stanton treating you?
    Actually not bad at all. I really expected it to be horrible but so far so good!!

Tech Mentor

Default Update 7/28/12

See 1st post
    Last edited by Jaydon34; 08-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast