HELP: First Club Gig

Default HELP: First Club Gig

Hey Guys,

I've been DJing house parties and events for a few years, and I have finally gotten the opportunity to DJ a nightclub. In New York these events they call Teen Nights are very popular, promotion companies run parties at clubs in the area for kids 14-18, no ID required. They're pretty big (they had one at Pacha NYC last week, got Laidback Luke to headline), but usually kids my age DJ, and now I'm headlining!

I'm definitely excited, but nervous as well. I've basically mastered the high school house party, I know the popular progressive jams that get everyone hyped up and dancing. Since I am DJing for other kids, one part of me wants to drop those vocal house jams and some of my own mashups, but I know that most of the other DJs tend to drop minimal and tech house for some reason. What should I play?

I will be bringing my laptop, Traktor, and Twitch instead of the house setup. Probably just plug into an input on the mixer.

So, any general tips and advice? If all goes well I will continue to do these, so I need to make a good first impression.

Thanks
    DJBK - 18 yr old DJ from NY -Asus G74SX w/ Core i7 2630QM 12GB RAM -DDM4000 -TTXUSB -DN-S1200 -MPD32 - Novation Twitch (custom mapped for road gigs)

"It’s not love for music, it’s a passion, and it goes beyond liking, and beyond a hobby, it’s about a way of living… Music is essential for my life." - Armin Van Buuren

Tech Mentor

Play the music you really believe in.

A DJ playing music he doesn't believe in, won't go far, and is easy to spot.

Who cares what the other guys play? If we all played the beatport top10 tech house chart IT WOULD BE A BORING AS FUCK PARTY.
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Tech Guru

Choose your top songs in your favorite genres. Then if one genre isn't working, try another. good luck!!
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    Choose your top songs in your favorite genres. Then if one genre isn't working, try another. good luck!!
    This

But assuming your going on later...pay attention to what the dj's play before you and how the crowd reacts. That should give a good idea where you want take your set

but play what you love in any genre.
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wilde View Post
    Play the music you really believe in.

A DJ playing music he doesn't believe in, won't go far, and is easy to spot.

Who cares what the other guys play? If we all played the beatport top10 tech house chart IT WOULD BE A BORING AS FUCK PARTY.
    This. So much this.

Play what YOU like. If everyone else does something, do it a different way, distinguish yourself from the other DJ's. It will help you make a name for yourself. And if you play your own stuff and it goes really well, even better.

Tech Convert

for me the rule is simple!!!

JUST CHECK THE CROWD