beginner, don't know what hardware to get

Default beginner, don't know what hardware to get

hi guys

i've been messing around with fl 9 and virtual dj a little bit, and i like it except that i think its a little tedious, like when cutting samples or making effects. do u think i should invest in a midi controller or a mixer; ive been reading through many articles saying that one definitely should buy some type of hardware. what does hardware do that virtual dj or fl studio can't? and will buying a beginner's mixer (like one for 200-250 bucks) help make djing easier?if so, how much easier?

Mixers are traditionally used in conjunction with turntables, be that vinyl or CDJ.

Look into Native Instrument's products. They will be more suited to what you require. Maschine, one product I'm currently eyeing up, can do pretty much everything it's accompanying software can do directly from the hardware unit.

Maschine is more often used for creating drum loops, but I'm told it's equally powerful a tool for creating melodies and such.
    CDJ800mk2 | DJM800 | CDJ800mk2

like the traktor series? and you'd say learning the traktor hardware and using it would make djing easier/more convenient than simply using a laptop? or does it just let you do more stuff?

I'm unsure which program you wish to emulate with hardware.

Do you want to produce (FL Studio) or do you want to DJ (Virtual DJ)?

Maschine is production based, although not limited to. Hardware for DJing would definately be Traktor (most around these parts use traktor).

I'd generally push someone such as yourself towards CDJ or vinyl, but digital seems to be more popular and more easily accessed.

If you want a more digital experience but want to DJ in a more traditional sense, you can run top end CDJs with PC link or USB functionality. OR, you can run vinyl with traktor using timecode records and a library contained on your computer.

I'd do a few weeks research before you jump into anything. You may change your mind after a few days of buying gear or even decide that you aren't all that into production/DJing.
    CDJ800mk2 | DJM800 | CDJ800mk2

Tech Mentor

The numark mixtrack is a great piece of equipment to start off its got everything u need including software u can get them at jb hi fi for $239
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

thanks for the quick help, guys.

@filthsky: i want to do both. sometimes i get cool ideas for songs, and sometimes i'd want to mix tracks. is it necessary to get different equipment for both?

also, i still don't get how buying hardware like a numark mixtrak could make the whole experience easier. isn't it more stuff to learn, and u could do the same thing on the laptop anyways?

@filthsky: i want to do both. sometimes i get cool ideas for songs, and sometimes i'd want to mix tracks. is it necessary to get different equipment for both?
    Even if the line is more and more blurred, production and DJing don't have anything in common (well except the music).
    I can DJ, i can't produce anything good atm.
    Wikipedia => DJ
    Google => "DAW" or "Music production"