Want to get into mixing for fun.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Want to get into mixing for fun.

So Ive wanted to get into mixing for awhile now. Ive messed around with virtual dj, ableton, fl, a little bit but found it extremly hard with just a computer.

Im not sure what type of gear I need to get started. I saw this in my local electronics store would this do http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-ho...ack-sku-88899/

I just want something to muck around with eventually get good enough to do the odd party or something
    Last edited by Razor119922; 01-04-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Tech Convert

what do you want to do, mix tunes or become a DJ (i.e. playing out). if you are just into making mixes I woudl stick with ableton and get a decent cheap controller e.g apc20 or novation launchpad. You could also play live with such a set up but you are more likely to subject to a more traditional set up i.e. 2 turntables / cd players and a mixer. In that case you are likely to be better getting used to cdj's possibly combined with traktor or serato. A midi controller liek the one you have linked to is a kind of halfway house.

I purposely didn't say get vinyl decks as I didn't want to come across like the old man that I am

PS Ableton should be pretty easy with just a computer to record two channel mixes on

Tech Convert

well buy a vci-100 from DJTT check all the eangolden tutorials, and walktrought.
    but mostly hear many many many presentation of PRO or amateur DJ.

AH!, and listen 500% more music.

Quote Originally Posted by I71 View Post
    what do you want to do, mix tunes or become a DJ (i.e. playing out). if you are just into making mixes I woudl stick with ableton and get a decent cheap controller e.g apc20 or novation launchpad. You could also play live with such a set up but you are more likely to subject to a more traditional set up i.e. 2 turntables / cd players and a mixer. In that case you are likely to be better getting used to cdj's possibly combined with traktor or serato. A midi controller liek the one you have linked to is a kind of halfway house.

I purposely didn't say get vinyl decks as I didn't want to come across like the old man that I am

PS Ableton should be pretty easy with just a computer to record two channel mixes on

I guess i want to get into more djing when out that way

Tech Convert

then you need to be able to dj in a club and that means you need to be able to use cdj's or turntables. As I said earlier, you can use other bits of kit for DJing out but you may not always get to connect it all up or disrupt the other dj's. That said, you can always rock a house party with just ableton (or you preference) live and see how much you enjoy it before embarking on learning to Dj in a club (that is a long and painful road and to be successful you need to be dedicated)

i started with a Hercules RMX , was a great controller to learn on, will be much cheaper than that one you linked, as you can get a used one on ebay for next to nothing if you keep looking for a bargain. If you want a great controller to learn on and are willing to spend a couple hundred more , then get an S4!
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Your posted Gear looks like a piece of crap which is a lot to expensive for being produced by a no-name producer and having this average features.

I started with an S4, which is of course a bit expensive for the start, but I saved hard.
    I would probably suggest the S2 to every newbie, as it is a good piece of gear with a long list of features, a solid build-quality and with the whole pro-user-Software "Traktor Pro 2" included (without any restrictions!!!)!
    But I know this needs some more than just the monthly pocket money

The VCI 100 does neither contain a soundcard nor a restrictionless DJing Software which would make the project much more expensive again, so for DJing just for fun (and giving it a try) I would strongly recommend the Vestax Spin (if you use a Mac) or the Vestax typhoon (if you use a PC). Its low price (while being a product from a manufacturer being known for its quality!) still keeps space for some nice DJing-Software like Serato or Traktor if you do not want to continue working with VDJ.

^^^ I agree. But one point.

The spin and typhoon are the exact same unit in every sense. I've plugged my buddies typhoon into my Mac (used I use the spin) and it recognized it and my map as being the spin. (havnt tried on tp2 as I have the s4 now.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

I think the original link you posted looks a good deal for a starter

Sure the quality won't be pro, but the conrtroller looks well featured for the price

Remember you need some software as well though
    SC | MC

@Nicky H
    I totally disagree. The unit is to expensive for being a no-name product (as I always said).

You'll get the Vestax Spin/Typhoon having the same features for half the price and know that it is well-built and that not everybody who is into DJing will laugh about your setup. Then put additionally the full version of the pro-Software Traktor Pro 2 into your cart and you will be able to work professionally and still have spent less money as you would have for getting that piece of bulls**t.

Forget the DJ headphones being bundled in that pack: I bet they are not worth a penny and for small parties or bedroom DJing some 20$ Sennheiser-Headphones (as I used in my first days) is more than enough. (Mine still work fine after about 7 years!) If you persist on buying some DJ-Headphones I would recommend the Sony MDR-V500DJ.
    And for the beginning I would not spend some money on new monitors. I started with my Logitech-PC-2.1-Speakers for about 35$ and that was it.
    Last edited by RockingClub; 01-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast