Traktor/Serato - Does it mean TOO much choice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Traktor/Serato - Does it mean TOO much choice?

Vast majority of the time I use Winamp and my entire collection and sticky notes on my desktop listen to Winamp on Radom and repeat and make note of the tracks that I want to work this. This is the same of my vinyl days of mixing for hours and organizing ones into different stacks to use. It's same idea just done different.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone

i hear whats this article is all about, i just recently did a fresh install of Lion on my MBP. and Im only xfering the actually music that I play, Im going to keep the remixes down to a min.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If someone is playing off their entire track collection then their lazy and ill prepared.
    Or maybe they just know their collection very well

While I prepare playlists, I will also pull from my library should inspiration occur. I have my physical files sorted my own way on my HD (by artist / folders), and I feel i know my library very well after maintaining it for many years.
    If I switch software, the files remain in the same order should I need to access them that way.

Meh. I really prefer to go "on the fly" with my collection. But I also know most of my songs like the back of my hand. Because ALL I've done for years is listen to my collection on shuffle, so while I may not be able to name a track off the top of my head easily, I know the breakdowns and such. And even with the newer tracks I buy, it's a matter of just listening to them a ton.

Also, when you get in the flow of mixing a lot... the pattern is pretty simple.

I just don't like sticking to one playlist, because it allows me to flex my musical knowledge.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

^Nice one....yeah playlists are great go-to templates but letting the creative juices flow is FTW

Tech Mentor

I agree that this is true about digital distribution of music in general. Thanks to no longer buying on vinyl ($15 per unit) and now buying digital ($1-3 per track), this has allowed me to buy a larger volume of music (and be willing to try new genres)... even if I'm unsure that it's a track that I won't even use much in my sets. And because my 'crate' has gone from 25-50 tracks now to hundreds, this is an issue.

Number one rule I've learned with going digital (especially when switching from CDJ's to Traktor)... in-depth track organization (playlists/crates, labels, etc) skills is key. Otherwise searching thru my collection based on artist name, track name alone or even purchase date isn't very efficient to find that one track you're really looking to play next. Very true for me, as I don't plan my sets (except for studio style recordings).

I'm with jojo and think that jprime might actually be able to do what he says, but in the heat of a mix at a club…I don't think it works.

I honestly miss only owning 250 records at a time and only being able to carry 50. The weird thing is that I was more confident then…now…it feels like you have to have everything just to keep up with the people who do…even if you're only playing 10 records.

i have allowed myself to buy more tracks in different genres than i used to...it doesn't mean they are less quality...

buying music is still a personal thing to me...it will always be...do i have a couple of poopers that looked better swimming in the water? sure...but probably the same percentage as i did when i bought CDs and Vinyl...

i'm not a kid in a candy store...i am fat enough...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

Dumb that anyone would say that. Rodigan is stuck in old school thinking. It's like saying he still watches normal TV because DirecTV has too many channels. It's not that DirecTV is overwhelming you just need to find the channels that you enjoy and the rest are there and nice to have from time to time when they have a program you want to watch.

Anyone with this problem hasnt properly organized their library. I personally keep a very organized library and it personally takes me much less time to organize a potential set than it would if I had to skim through CDs and Vinyls.

Another dumb argument I hear is "my music is more thoughtfully picked because I brought CDs." One of the dumbest things I've ever heard as someone mentioned my playlists are my crates, I've chosen all these songs by Key, BPM, flow etc.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I agree with him on the 30sec madness, but that is a problem of the IG generation.
    I was riding in the car of a coworker the other day and I swear to god the mix on the radio was 8 bars of a track, then off to the next one. only once or twice in a half hour did they let a track play more than 16 bars.

I felt like I caught ADHD from the damn DJ.
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast