Traktor/Serato - Does it mean TOO much choice?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Traktor/Serato - Does it mean TOO much choice?

I was watching this interview with the legendary selector and soundclash stalwart Sir David "RamJam" Rodigan MBE:

http://irishandchin.com/soundchat-tv...id-rodigan-pt1

Rodigan makes the point that he recently purchased Serato and says words to the effect of it "BEING LIKE A KID IN A SWEET STORE" where he states he has too many tunes to choose from. As a Traktor user myself, I feel like this at times where I don't know where to start my sets or what to put in my sets as I've too much music. Does anyone else feel like this? When I played vinyl only, it was easy - I just went to the record store, listened to a load a records and bought the ones I wanted for my set. Nowadays with online music stores, I can buy loads of MP3s due to the cheap price and have too much to choose from. Tell me I ain't the only one who feels this way.

Plenty do which is why many people regularly trim down their collection and delete stuff that is no longer needed. I just deleted a ton myself.

Default Traktor/Serato - Does it mean TOO much choice?

I make playlists as I record a set and usually I shoot for 2 hour sets so that helps me trim it down. But I agree one day my wife was going though my Winamp of all my tracks and asked why I have 6 version of the same songs. Sadly because with beat port I almost always buy the whole thing I mean it's mere pennies right.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Absolutely but just like in the old days where you would pick 100 records out of your 1000 records at home to take to a gig you do the same here, except it's called a playlist. If someone is playing off their entire track collection then they're lazy and ill prepared.
    Last edited by photojojo; 01-05-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Just to add to this http://irishandchin.com/radioshow-hi...h-ruler-amplex

From 8.10, Rodigan says "Here's a note to selectors. Too much music and in the abundance of water... the fool is thirsty. You can have too much music. The reason why I haven't moved over to Serato, and I have bought Serato and I have a laptop and I tried it at home - it's like a kid in a candy store syndrome. You're sick. You have all this music and it looks like you're reading emails in the dance. And what happens is you go to the dance and you see selectors playing everything on the chorus and just pressing button, pressing buttons. Life is not one continuous orgasm. You know. Life isn't like that. And music has to have crescendo. It must build. We cannot be always be queuing to the chorus and playing 30 seconds. Sorry, I'm on my soapbox now but I do think this is very important. I've deliberately stayed with CDs because there is an element of excitement generated when you see it coming to the end - you gotta get another one in. It takes you back to the feeling of a dubplate box...."

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Absolutely but just like in the old days where you would pick 100 records out of your 1000 records at home to take to a gig you do the same here, except it's called a playlist. If someone is playing off their entire track collection then they're lazy and ill prepared.
    The point I'm making though (and the one Rodigan is alluding to) is that it's not reducing the amount of tracks you have in Traktor/Serato by Playlists but the fact with having this software we will mean we have TOO much tracks to choose from. With CDs and vinyl you could only have so much in your collection, but most DJs have hard drives with thousands of tracks at their disposal. When I DJed back in the day with vinyl, I could only carry so many record boxes but now I can carry my entire collection if I wanted on a hard drive.
    Last edited by photojojo; 01-05-2012 at 07:58 AM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Playlists are meant to emulate crates. If you find yourself with the too many options problem then limit yourself to building a playlist (order is irrelevant) before a gig with no more tracks than you could carry in 2-3 vinyl crates and stick to it.

I agree with him on the 30sec madness, but that is a problem of the IG generation.

Yup. You've either selected your tunes (and are prepared) or you haven't (and are not prepared).
    Back in the day, forcing you to select which records to carry forced you to be prepared.
    This new tech merely allows badly prepared DJs to be badly prepared; only a problem for a badly prepared DJ.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 01-04-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

limitation breeds creativity...

absolutely agree with this idea... were in a transitional phase right now were were not exactly sure how to incorporate the technology into the work flow that was established.

Think we have a problem now, imagine when they find a way to link spotify into serato or traktor?!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbrowski00 View Post
    Think we have a problem now, imagine when they find a way to link spotify into serato or traktor?!
    I should imagine that they'll have to come up with some way of allowing us to make 'lists'. Oh wait.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast