Whats your definition of a live act ?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Whats your definition of a live act ?

With djing and live acts becomming ever closer and closer, i personally think the lines between a live act and a dj act are starting to get a little blurry - that said to some people the line is as clear as daylight, so i am interested in hear the opinions of different people here.

What is your definition of a live act?

Theres nothing stopping anyone from using both dj techniques and live music techniques at the same time as we started talking a little bit about the advantages of this approach in this thread here: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4362 among other places.

Also theres alot of artists out there playing who dont have enough of their own material to rock a club all night and thus are also mixing other people material into their own sets and this is promoted as being a live act. When does one stop becomming a live act and starts to become a dj act and vice versa ?

Currently for instance i have 2 channels in Traktor playing other peoples tracks then i have another 3 channels in Ableton which contain a mixture of my own material and some small loops i have cut out of tracks. Also I have been working on adding a softsynth to this setup, so given all this parts of my mixes are what could be considered very much live. While other parts are leaning more towards the dj paradime just with alot more fancy tricks. So what would you define this act as ? Live or not ?

Why doesn't DJing count as live? For me personally, a DJ is performing as well.
    Controllerism blurs the line between DJing and 'making' music anyway.
    Just my .02$ though.
    Last edited by Tigris; 04-01-2009 at 03:50 AM.
    I mix stuff on my things...

imo live act was/is widely defined by big events where behind the artist's name is clearly stated whether it is DJ set or live act. From those events we got used to that live act is something purely done from performer's own music material, whereas when they use other tracks into mix it is DJ set from now on.

However, this definition can be easily trashed away today, or in the near future, as you mentioned Bento (sort of), we are curently the guys who are breaking the rules.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Mentor

I think a DJ is someone who provides a programme of pre-recorded music.

A live performer is someone who generates arrangements of music on the fly with the potential for the arrangement to be improvised (the live part).

A live act is a performer who generates music on the fly with the intention of being the centre of attention (the acting part).

There's no reason why a DJ can't be a live performer or a live act.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Personally, I think the line is a lot clearer.

Bento, in my opinion, you're still DJing. You're remixing, possibling doing mashups, but it's still DJing. You are mixing pre-recorded music to provide a non-stop mix.

Moldover, while mangling, changing, and remixing songs live, in my opinion, is still DJing. He is using pre-recorded loops and beats to layer to provide a mix.

Tom Cosm is where this gets a little blurry for me. He is using loops and beats he produced, but he is creating new songs in a live setting. I would still put this as DJing, as it is still all pre-recorded, however.

Now, in the scene I run in (Goth/Industrial), a lot of the bands use almost exclusively pre-recorded music as well. I, personally, don't consider them live performances either. I consider them producers/DJs who are providing a pre-recorded, minimally live created experience.

For me, a live performance is one where nothing (or, at least a very minimal amount) is pre-recorded. That doesn't mean no one is using computers, but people can still play keyboards, bang on drum machines, play guitars, etc. etc. etc.. This, I understand, is a very stringent standard, however I think that they are very different abilities, skills, and should be recognized as such.

Now, this is not to say that DJing is less than a live band. It is just to say that they are, to me, very different, and I don't think that difference should be discounted.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

As far as I see it there is live production and performance. People get so hyped up over the fact that it is a live performance but for me this isn't such a big deal. I don't mean to offend anyone in a band, but hearing someone perform live is an amazing feat but it lacks the creativity that a live production has. Live production is much closer to digital mixing than it is to most bands. I guess I don't understand why people are so impressed with a live performance (bands) but ascribe less skill to a dj because they aren't making music. A mix has an overall quality and feel that is more than the sum of its parts (hopefully) and requires creativity and improvisation.

Ed. Offtopic hijack: Have decided to change my name from DJ NikNak to OscILLation FIXation, and drop the DJ what do you think?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    I don't mean to offend anyone in a band, but hearing someone perform live is an amazing feat but it lacks the creativity that a live production has. Live production is much closer to digital mixing than it is to most bands.
    I know you don't mean to offend, and I'm not, but that's just a shocking statement to me, one that I can't possibly agree with.

And I like the flow of the new name, but it's long, and a mouthful. I still think DJ names should be catchy and quick. Though, it is only 2 syllables shorter than mine... Maybe Oscill8:Fix8

or something shorter. It's more the visual length, I think.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Yea thanks, for the suggestion I really like that and will play around with the name a bit more on that vein.

If I am being ignorant as far as bands go let me know, the type of band I am talking about are the ones that basically play songs off their album/s in a varied order, is this what you mean? Is there something I am missing?

Ed. what about OSCill8:FIX8 or oscILL8:fix8? I still think I like yours better (even thopugh I like ym second suggestion here I think the f in fix should be capitalized for clarity, but I kinda want to make the capitalization of the name oscillate.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 04-01-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

I don't think you're being ignorant. I just think it takes a lot more ability to play music live on instruments, even if you are playing static songs. The room for error is very high, and very noticeable. I can fuck up DJing and no one would ever know.

Keep in mind I'm talking about people playing instruments, not just hitting play on their iPod and letting the backing tracks do all the work.

I like FIX8:OSCill8, personally. I think the rhythm of it just flows really smooth.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Yea that one is the best so far. would the mods allow me to further hijack this thread and post the text for an email that I am gong to send to try and get a gig on campus? /crossfingers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast