Whats your definition of a live act ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    What the hell, man? I'm not supposed to agree with you again.
    Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Tech Guru

imo, a live DJ act is:

turntablism
    controllerism
    acoustic/electric/digital instrument implementation
    full live band

live act is not:

standard club dj set (a->b mixing etc.)
    microwave ableton/traktor set

Tech Guru

the question I think is tho what do you can somethat that is 1/2 way between the two ?

Ie 2-3 people performing with Ableton and using live elements (guitar/synth/drums/turntables etc)...

if you look at the stanton warriors, they play alot of their own tunes, and tunes they remixed and other peoples tunes at shows and clubs, but they still consider their sets as dj sets. I think if you adding instruments to you set like live instrumentation not loops you are a live act, if you just adding loops together, and layering them ontop of songs, your just doing mash ups and dj'n.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    the question I think is tho what do you can somethat that is 1/2 way between the two ?

Ie 2-3 people performing with Ableton and using live elements (guitar/synth/drums/turntables etc)...
    i'd personally group that with "live" performance.

as soon as it gravitates from simply mixing songs together to actually playing an instrument, it's fair to categorize it as a live performance imo.

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
    I'm saying that the sound I'm making was originally played and recorded by someone else, but if I stop playing it, the sound stops; therefore sampled music being triggered by a keyboard falls under your definition of "live."

As human beings increasingly interact with recorded and automatically improvisational or sequencing technology in a process so immersive as to be considered collaborative, these attempts to identify "live" are increasingly archaic.
    Not purposefully trying to disagree with you (most of what you're saying i can agree with tbh), but the 2nd example i questioned was regarding a harmonized vocal...

Do you consider the concept of 'live' to be redundant then? If not, what would your description be?
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

My definition of a live act, is some one or a group of people that produce music Live, weather that be some bomb tribal drums in Africa, or a Dj/Producer on stage remaking a track live, with every element at his fingertips, triggering different things, and live recording and looping other things.

Mudo

Tooltablism.
    Free Creative Humans using tools for perform and make show (bedrooms djs included)

Live-Act.
    Tooltablism perform (attempts are Live-Acts with control of workflow like sparring in martial arts)

Tools.
    Turntables, mixers, controllers, Software, Video, Audio, instruments, Beatbox, Vocals, show, technique...
    (which art is better than others? Gracie Jiu-jitsu? Turntablism? Controllerism? mash-uping?)

Howto.
    Choose your tools and enjoy, there's not difference.
    Using No-way as a way.
    Using no-limit as a limit.
    With no-style you have freedom for choise any style.
    (Like water my friends )

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mudo View Post
    Tooltablism.
    Free Creative Humans using tools for perform and make show (bedrooms djs included)

Live-Act.
    Tooltablism perform (attempts are Live-Acts with control of workflow like sparring in martial arts)

Tools.
    Turntables, mixers, controllers, Software, Video, Audio, instruments, Beatbox, Vocals, show, technique...
    (which art is better than others? Gracie Jiu-jitsu? Turntablism? Controllerism? mash-uping?)

Howto.
    Choose your tools and enjoy, there's not difference.
    Using No-way as a way.
    Using no-limit as a limit.
    With no-style you have freedom for choise any style.
    (Like water my friends )

I remember when you told me exactly the same thing by MSN Mudo!

Good to see you here btw

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think no matter how many pretty words we throw on top of this, until you are creating your own music live from scratch we are still all DJs. *shrug* I don't know why this is such a dirty word. It's not like your just starting, still wet behind the ears guitar player is any less a guitar player than Eric Clapton. So why should the brand new DJ who still can't mix be any different, in the end, DJ than Ean or Moldover?

It just sounds like the phrase "DJ" has become dirty and no one wants to be known as one. Whether you're a turntablist, or a controllerist, or a mixologist, or whatver, we're still all DJs in the end, and it's still all live, right? Can't we all just get along?

How's about a big DJTT hug?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast