laptop display dead - can anyone help recover my traktor files?

Default laptop display dead - can anyone help recover my traktor files?

Hi all,

for the last couple of months my macbook pros display has been going a bit crazy, and looking like someone punched the display basically!...turned off and on again it sometimes worked, however now its gone crazy for good, and i cant get around the screen much if at all anymore.

I did used to do time machine back ups, however i think ive done quite a bit of mp3 editing in traktor since the last one and would really like to recover those loops and samples i saved more than anything else, as i spent a lot of time grabbing those!

all my music was kept on a separate external hard drive, so that is fine (i believe my cue points will be safe?)...I can kind of see my way around the desktop a little bit still...so if anyone can tell me what i need to recover, and where the default save location might have been on a mac, that might be all i need to recover it? (im guessing its just the xml file i need, but also the samples folder?)

the laptop is pretty old, i think bought in 2006/7 so i was assuming it was on its last legs and have a new model coming in the post, so i really dont want to have to buy replacement memory to fix it just to get rid of the laptop, so any advice would be more than welcome.

thanks, thanks, thanks in advance!!
    If needed i think it was bought in 2006/7 as i say, macbook pro 15 inch screen, silver, i believe it was a 2.2 ghz processor and 150 gb hard drive.

Tech Student

Hi,

I'm fairly certain your Macbook Pro is running the Nvida 8600M GT graphics card. Look at this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377. You might be eligible for a free repair if the graphics card is the main cause of no display. I would recommend getting it looked at from an Apple Store.

In relation to where the files are stored, sorry but I can't answer that. However, you could be able to hook it up to an external monitor to get access to those files that weren't backed up on Time Machine.

cuepoints are stored within the mp3, so they are safe..

why dont you just hook up the time machine drive and make another backup automatically..?
    another solution can be to hook up a second monitor and go from there..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    cuepoints are stored within the mp3, so they are safe..

why dont you just hook up the time machine drive and make another backup automatically..?
    another solution can be to hook up a second monitor and go from there..

hey,
    when i hook up the TM drive the icon at the top of my screen that normally starts spinning to denote that it's backing up does not spin, so i don't think it's automatically doing it, but yeah the second monitor is a good idea thanks both of you that may work if it was just a graphics problem, ill give it a try! however, a couple of people who saw it think its memory-related...fingers crossed!

If the worst comes to the worst, you can always pull the HDD out, mount it an external caddy and use another laptop to access the files.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

If all else fails, you can take the HHD out and put it into an external casing or hook it up directly to a computer.

Might be a bit of a bitch due to the Filetable for OSX, but you can get around all that.

Least you have the data then.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Have you got another Mac? Have both machines got firewire ports?

Start the "dead screen" mac, & at the same time press & hold the "T" key. This will start it up in "target disk" mode. Essentially turning it in to one big external firewire drive.

Plug the "target disk" Mac in to the other Mac, & fire it up. Your "dead screen" mac should appear as an external drive on the other Mac.

Navigate to your "dead screen" mac, & copy off anything you need.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    If the worst comes to the worst, you can always pull the HDD out, mount it an external caddy and use another laptop to access the files.
    Beat me to it! By a minute!

We were probably typing at the same time.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin