Using my iPad to record straight onto Soundcloud
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Using my iPad to record straight onto Soundcloud

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. I recently downloaded the Soundcloud App for my iPad and was wondering with their record function can I plug a RCA to 1/8 jack from my mixer into the iPad and record a mix directly?

Or would it be essential to purchase something like an iRig?

I'm gonna give it a go tonight but was wondering if anyone else recorded direct onto their iPad and had any tips. I've heard mixed opinions on whether it works with just the normal cable and very little feedback on the Soundcloud app. Google is just a minefield of answers.

Cheers

Tech Guru

Hey mate, I have an iPad too but I never used the recording feature of the Soundcloud app.
    I don't think that the iPad is able to receive input of audio via the headphone jack... Never saw any app using it.
    I think that the recording feature of the iPad soundcloud app was made to be used with the internal iPad Microphone... but it's just me, I dunno if it's right...
    Can't you use your notebook headphone jack to record your mix inside your notebook? You can use the Audacity software (wich is free) to record from the headphone jack...

Tech Convert

Hello mate,

The headphone jack can definitely be used as an input as that is how the iRig works. Except the iRig seems to split into two one being an input coming from your source the other being an output signal to go to something like a powered speaker or amp.

Because I would use the record output on my mixer I wouldn't require the additional output but I'm not sure if just a standard cable will work as I've heard it doesn't.

I'll give it a shot tonight and see, if not I'll just buy the iRig.

I would prefer to use my iPad rather than e traditional route as I like the fact it's separate and to hand and also the speed at which I can record and upload.

Tech Guru

Nice nooks!
    If with iRig works I'm sure that you will find a way with the soundcloud app.
    Have you tried to ask it at the soundcloud fanpage?
    http://www.facebook.com/soundcloud
    Also ask about the format and bitrate that soundcloud would record it and if it's only online recording or the recording can happen offline too.

Tech Convert

Good plan!

It might be that I record with the iRig and it's software and then upload with the Soundcloud app.

Tech Guru

Hey nooks! just discovered this app, they are showing the ad at soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/apps/ampkit

"AmpKit and AmpKit+ are the ultimate iPhone amp and effects studios with extensive recording and re-amping capabilities.

With both apps, an in-app Gear Store enables simple purchasing of an amazing array of gear, up to a total of 12 amps with 20 distinct amp channels, 13 cabinets, 16 pedals (e.g., multiple distortion and fuzz pedals, reverb, delay, 10-band EQ, octave, chorus, flanger, phaser, vibrato, noise gate, compressor) and 8 microphones. All of the gear is modeled after real-world equipment from leading manufacturers, resulting in realistic and superior tone quality. AmpKit has more than twice the number of components of other amps/effects apps, with more gear on the way!

Together with AmpKit LiNK, a high fidelity interface for connecting an electric guitar directly to an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, AmpKit and AmpKit+ provide guitar players with a powerful and convenient way to jam with high quality tones anytime and anywhere."

I would check it out before buying anything else!

Tech Guru

What I have found, is that using another program/device to record with, and then uploading to soundcloud later is my personal preference. I know you can record directly to soundcloud, but I'm pretty sure it's designed for taking personal voice notes and whatnot, I'm iffy about the quality.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Nooks View Post
    Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. I recently downloaded the Soundcloud App for my iPad and was wondering with their record function can I plug a RCA to 1/8 jack from my mixer into the iPad and record a mix directly?

Or would it be essential to purchase something like an iRig?

I'm gonna give it a go tonight but was wondering if anyone else recorded direct onto their iPad and had any tips. I've heard mixed opinions on whether it works with just the normal cable and very little feedback on the Soundcloud app. Google is just a minefield of answers.

Cheers
    Nah i don't think they have it bro. And your right, google is a huge field of answers. also, I've tried the whole recording on iPad w/ sound cloud with normal plug, i didn't like it at all :P

Tech Convert

I'm thinking of going with the iRig cable and Studiomini XL for recording and then upload to Soundcloud separately.

I think you're right about the Apps intended use Bassline Brine.

I'll let you all know how I get on when I get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast