DDJ S1 vs Kontrol S2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default DDJ S1 vs Kontrol S2

Hi! I'm new in the controler world..
    I just sold my old setup (cdj 100 + ecler nuo 2.0) because i was tired to burn cd at my place.. So i'm looking for a controler. My first choice was the Pioneer DDJ S1 because it look like similar of a real setup of cdj. But, when i was at the shop, i saw the kontrol s2, who's like 350 bucks cheaper! So now im really confused. Both will do the same job, i'm not looping and doing effect of whatever, i'm just mixing drum and bass, so i dont really care about fx box, looping, etc.
    So, which one will be the better choice? The ddj who's look like similar of a real setup in club? Or the cheaper? The S2. But who's not like cdj or whatever..
    I'm not planing to bring the controler at a gig or whatever, its just for my place.. to save cd burning!

Thanks a lot!

I don't know what would be better for you, but I have an s4 and I think the s2 is about the same setup just with 1:1 2 deck control rather than 1:1 4 deck control...I really like my s4, it's a quality build, the faders and knobs feel right, can't really speak on the jogwheel feel as I don't do much with them, as far as mixing drum and bass goes, I really like it, the effect section in traktor really has some nice rhythmic effects (beatsmasher, gaters, delays, beatslicer) that really are nice with drum and bass...I haven't really heard much about the ddj s1 around here, just seems to be pioneer's entry into the controller market... it's expensive but like most pioneer equipment you really pay for the namebranding. not to say it's bad.

Just my 2 cents

mike
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Do you like Itch or Traktor?
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Well I think you've kinda already sold yourself on the fact that the S2 costs half of what the DDJ does and it comes with a full version of $200 software whereas Itch is free, but doesn't work w/o a controller.

I myself recently purchased a S2 and my roommate has a DDJ-S1. It works great for him because he does a lot of "hosting" more than flat out DJ'ing. It's got two mix/aux through ports that he uses for a mic and his ipad (plays vids/songs off youtube, lol) and the general interface is easy enough for even him.

I'd say for what you're looking to do the S2 is a great call. The only things that the DDJ really has that the S2 doesn't is the needle search, slip mode, and longer pitch faders. Are you syncing your d&b or riding the fader?

Tech Wizard

i like serato and itch, i've work with both in the past when i was on vinyl..
    and i also riding the fader, i've never touch the sync button.

Itch isn't free. You pay for it in the controller. Same goes for SSL in the interfaces.

An S1 is great for flat out DJing. Both of these controllers are if you are comfortable with the software.

Again it all depends on which software you prefer. If you like Serato then the choice is clear. If you want to venture into Traktor and save some bones on the controller then go with the S2. Both will ultimately get you where you are trying to go.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurse View Post
    Hi! I'm new in the controler world..
    I just sold my old setup (cdj 100 + ecler nuo 2.0) because i was tired to burn cd at my place.. So i'm looking for a controler. My first choice was the Pioneer DDJ S1 because it look like similar of a real setup of cdj. But, when i was at the shop, i saw the kontrol s2, who's like 350 bucks cheaper! So now im really confused. Both will do the same job, i'm not looping and doing effect of whatever, i'm just mixing drum and bass, so i dont really care about fx box, looping, etc.
    So, which one will be the better choice? The ddj who's look like similar of a real setup in club? Or the cheaper? The S2. But who's not like cdj or whatever..
    I'm not planing to bring the controler at a gig or whatever, its just for my place.. to save cd burning!

Thanks a lot!

Obviously the S2 because
    1. its cheaper
    2. traktor is good for mixing DnB
    3. it gives you more options (trust me you will use those)

The S2 is cheaper.

Why isn't Itch good for mixing Drum and Bass.

And what options does it give you more than an S1.

Just a wild guess... You own an S2?
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    The S2 is cheaper.

Why isn't Itch good for mixing Drum and Bass.

And what options does it give you more than an S1.

Just a wild guess... You own an S2?
    I own a S4 with two technics. Now, the reason i say its better than itch is because you will most likely (even though u say u won't) use the effects chain (great on the s2 and s4). has a lot more effects than the itch software. The S1 is also very long (which might be annoying). s2 is smaller, more compact. also, the options n the back of the controller, i think, correct me if I'm wrong (because i have an s4 it might be a little different) that it has more back options on the S2 (outputs, mic, etc.) the main thing is whether you like sera to or traktor more, but i would think you'd go for the S2 because t's cheaper and like you said the S1 mainly has the same options.

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    Itch isn't free. You pay for it in the controller. Same goes for SSL in the interfaces.

An S1 is great for flat out DJing. Both of these controllers are if you are comfortable with the software.

Again it all depends on which software you prefer. If you like Serato then the choice is clear. If you want to venture into Traktor and save some bones on the controller then go with the S2. Both will ultimately get you where you are trying to go.
    this too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast