What would you recommend as external back up drive ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you recommend as external back up drive ?

Hey guys, I have a 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6. (Not that any of that matters)
    I have 135,07 GB on my HDD and I have 184,67 GB available space.
    About 20 GB of this is music.
    At the moment if nothing is backed up. Nothing is on a cloud service, nothing is on a external drive. If my computer were to die on me, or be destroyed by a douche bag at a gig, or if my own stupidity were it's demise, then I'd be fucked !
    So I'm looking at something to back up probably everything but most importantly my music. I was looking at some SSD because they seem to be a lot more rugged. If one were to fall off my desk I'd be safe. But they cost more.

What do you recommend as backup device ? (Anything over 400 GB is unnecessary overkill, it would awesome if it would work with Time Machine on a Mac)

As far as i know all external hard drives works with mac's time machine. Either you need it to be plugged in always with a usb cable or you can connect the hard drive to some kind of wireless hub.. i think the apple airport express will do. As far as choosing the hard drive i would go look at dealextreme.com
    - they got some cheap stuff!
    Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio 2, Aiaiai TMA-1, Behringer EuroRack MX 1604A, M-Audio BX5A, Macbook Pro 15'' mid 2010
    Facebook and Soundcloud: Fuscus http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fuscus/275164752519652

^Thanks.

Also, firewire or thunderbolt possibilities would be awesome.

And maybe, you could tell me what you use and what you think of it.

Well i would just buy a normal 2.0 USB hard drive..
    I use one from the trademark Buffalo.
    here is their website: http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...e-hard-drives/
    It's pretty stable and not that expensive.. you could maybe look on craigslist and get one used and cheap.
    Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio 2, Aiaiai TMA-1, Behringer EuroRack MX 1604A, M-Audio BX5A, Macbook Pro 15'' mid 2010
    Facebook and Soundcloud: Fuscus http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fuscus/275164752519652

I spoke with my friend today and told me he had an external HDD and he broke it by dropping it 1 foot/30 cm above the ground while it was turned off and not plugged in. He lost everything. So I'm probably gonna get a small 60 GB SSD of 100 euros and use it only for music since that is the most important thing on my laptops HDD.

I thought it might be good advice, be very careful with your harddrives.

ssd for backups? i find that weird, cause your macbook harddrive will surely get more bumps than any backupdrive.. (dropping any harddrive will destroy something inside for sure). if you really want to go ssd. buy a bigger one and swap it with the one in your macbook and buy an enclosure for the current dirve..

i have a WD Mybook 1TB drive which sits on my desk and never gets touched.. i connect it whenever my MBP is at home..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

After all that time spent on my library, the really last thing I want is to begin again & again. Maybe I'm freak (which I don't care that much) but I always have more than one backup... at least one on the shelf, one on the road. Sync them all once a week after the last weekly gig. As simple as that.

Anything electronic will fail one day or another.

WD Caviar Black fitted in Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosures for me (I use eSata port for now)
    Last edited by Steve Zorilow; 01-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Guru

For Mac Users I highly recommend this WD External. It has firewire so it's faster and doesn't take up precious USB space, plus it's all metal so it can take a beating.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-FireWire-WDBK8A0010BBK-NESN/dp/B005ELBSWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326233831&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Western Digital My Passport Studio: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31q2shNfpXL.@@AMEPARAM@@31q2shNfpXL[/ame]
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    After all that time spent on my library, the really last thing I want is to begin again & again. Maybe I'm freak (which I don't care that much) but I always have more than one backup... at least one on the shelf, one on the road. Sync them all once a week after the last weekly gig. As simple as that.

Anything electronic will fail one day or another.

WD Caviar Black fitted in Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosures for me (I use eSata port for now)
    do you have any special program to sync via timemachine to two external drives? i'm considering getting a second backup drive..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

1tb time capsule here, I move a lot even inside the house so it just does it's thing by itself without me worrying about it. If you are archiving files that won't be touched it might make some sense to buy a big drive, but there are certain files you'd rather have different versions stored ready for recall. Hard drives work better if they have 15-20% free space.

Think my model has a Scorpio Blue drive in it.
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast