Question for Ean (or any DJTT Employee) re: VCI-100se's and the Future...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for Ean (or any DJTT Employee) re: VCI-100se's and the Future...

Hello guys (Ean, Phil, Bento...),

So I am one of the few who purchased a VCI-100se last year. Obviously it goes without saying that this is a great product.

I don't know if this is an 'elephant in the room' type inquiry or not, but I figured I might as well try asking.

My question is with future upgrades to the unit...seeing as this is an official product from DJTT I am wondering what is included, what won't be, etc., in regards to Official Updates.

Specifically 2 items:

1) Firmware 1.4: Will we have an easy (read: free) way to update our units?

2) "Overlays" (or whatever is going to be the solution) for the final tsi for TPro. We purchased this controller with the DJTT branding on it, along with it being labeled for T3.3 functionality.

So to put it into some perspective, I haven't purchased a firmware update kit yet...is this something I, along with the other 100 or so SE owners, should plan on doing? Should we also plan on purchasing overlays?

Any type of information on this, or other examples you can come up with, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not even opposed to an answer like "What you have is what you have. Any future updates will need to be handled by you." Just so that we're level-set here.

...and I would also put whatever your decision is as part of the product description so people know what type of future-proofing they are getting into.

Thanks!

I was nervous of throwing down that kind of cash for a flash-in-the-pan product, but owning one for some time now has been a pleasure every day. Especially with all the work Ean has put into extending it's life and giving us new products, optimisations and personalisations. His work on bringing all the VCI controllers up to the same standard has been a lifeline for Vestax.

I'm not seeing any concepts, let alone products, that are any kind of major improvement on the VCI-100. I expect it to be around for a long time to come. It's just a MIDI device. Hard to see a reason to throw out such a useful box of control.

This post keeps getting bumped to different forums. I figure since my question was related to only the VCI-100se it belonged in that sub-forum?

...and a little *bump* for the sake of it.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Hey Chilly,

Im not Ean but I would say you will need to buy an upgrade device if you want to upgrade to 1.4 once it releases, and I'd assume that is the case with the overlays for the 'final' mapping.

Chilly if you have a 1st edition SE, I would leave it as is. I would not put a skin over it, its a work of art as is. I would say if you have a spare vci-100 (silver) mod that one with the coming overlay to match TPRO.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Chilly if you have a 1st edition SE, I would leave it as is. I would not put a skin over it, its a work of art as is. I would say if you have a spare vci-100 (silver) mod that one with the coming overlay to match TPRO.
    agreed, im never modding mine (except with various scrtches and bumps ), keepin it limited edish as. it ye olde relic
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    I would say if you have a spare vci-100 (silver) mod that one with the coming overlay to match TPRO.
    Or wing it my way..!

Yeah Chilly, Im sure Karlos would send you a Black VCI from the UK in exchange for you VCI-100SE.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

We havent forgotten about you chilly were working out what exactly is going to be our official stance on these two questions. Midifidler is right about the firmware though - there is no way of getting around (no way that anyones acheived up to date anyway) installing the firmware without a firmware upgrade kit so you are going to be needing one of these to update to the 1.4 firmware.

So a firmware upgrade kit should definantly be on your list of things to purchase. Also when the 1.4 firmware is released it might be harder to get hold of these units than it currently is now due to a steep rise of demand because of the firmware release. So it might be a good idea to get one before the 1.4 firmware is out becuase i can see the units flying out of the door faster than they already do.

We will have more details than this shortly but for the moment this is all i can confirm.

Tech Guru

I'm not a VCI-100SE owner, I don't even have a VCI, but I think that Chilly and the others who have bought the first version of DJTT products should have preference or any type of discount on buying new versions of the VCI or the FW upgrade kit to keep his products up-to-date.
    NI do that with his softwares (traktor LE -> PRO), why DJTT shouldn't do with his mods?
    Afterall, if you guys are capable to release a new version of the firmware, it's because Chilly and the others have bought and did a lot of merchandise for you talking about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast