audacity recording too loud and distorted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default audacity recording too loud and distorted

I recently got help from another forum user who helped a LOT. They told me to record through my line-in but I don't have a line-in on my computer so I also had the option of using my microphone line. I can record my mixes through audacity this way but the soundwave comes out HUGE (wide). I need to know how to make it so when I record the sound basically is really quiet without lowering to volume via my mixer. This being said I can then amplify it it it will (hopefully) come out clear and not distorted. Anyone know how to do such?

Tech Wizard

There is a volume control in Audacity for recording and listening which allows you to control what comes in and what goes out. See the image.

MMM Making Music With Food. Yep! Taste good and sound good too!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by chefmix View Post
    There is a volume control in Audacity for recording and listening which allows you to control what comes in and what goes out. See the image.

Yes, the problem is though is it still comes out loud and distorted, even if it's at 0 volume

Microphone input. No good for recording mate. Get a soundcard
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    Microphone input. No good for recording mate. Get a soundcard
    Jester Is on a roll with the knowledge tonight (today?) big up the brains behind the operation
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Mac or PC?

Look at your computer control panel / settings sometimes have a rec volume there too. turn it down

But yes get a soundcard.

what set up is it? are you using same laptop to dj too?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Is this during playback of just the recording or what you here when you're recording? There's a monitor preference in Audacity that you need to make sure is turned off so you don't here what you're recording while you're playing.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Microphone input is amplified. I seriously doubt you'll get something clean through this.
    But sometimes in your computer's audi settings there is a +20dB amplification on the microphone, and it might be enabled as a default setting. If there is such a thing, make sure to turn if off.

I warned you about the mic input .

Also since I don't know crap about this mixer.... nem0nic posted in that thread about the 2in/2out sound card in it and how you should be able to record through that.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Convert

Thanks, I do have a sondcard for you other people, but yeah I am cnfused with the mixer XD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast