Getting started, need help with set-up and gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Exclamation Getting started, need help with set-up and gear

Alright so I've been looking into DJ'ing and it seems fun and I'm willing to give it a try. I've been looking into a time-coded Vinyl setup as it interests me the most. Though I have several questions on it:

1. I'm unsure whether or not the vinyls actually hold the songs or you are getting the music to play from Mp3's on your computer which are then loaded into your software of choice and the vinyl's are there just for the scratching and feel of vinyls while having the convience of digital Djing or that you need to find the Vinyls with the music at record stores and such?

2. What would be the best software for a time-coded vinyl setup, like is there one particularily designed with it, or the ones most compatible?

3. I'm on a low budget here so what are some brand names i could look into that at least give me a decent quality while still remaining relatively cheap, for mixers, time-coded vinyls, software, speakers, and headphones?

I know I'm asking a lot but for anyone to respond with links and helpful information I'd be really grateful .

Tech Wizard

i'm pretty new to this stuff as well but the two industry wide known software/hardware interface are Serato and Traktor. You can start your search there and i'm sure you'll find more information than you can handle.

If you're in a real tight budget then consider digital controller to start with before investing hard earned cash on gears.

Quote Originally Posted by ebilbeats View Post
    Alright so I've been looking into DJ'ing and it seems fun and I'm willing to give it a try. I've been looking into a time-coded Vinyl setup as it interests me the most. Though I have several questions on it:

1. I'm unsure whether or not the vinyls actually hold the songs or you are getting the music to play from Mp3's on your computer which are then loaded into your software of choice and the vinyl's are there just for the scratching and feel of vinyls while having the convience of digital Djing or that you need to find the Vinyls with the music at record stores and such?

2. What would be the best software for a time-coded vinyl setup, like is there one particularily designed with it, or the ones most compatible?

3. I'm on a low budget here so what are some brand names i could look into that at least give me a decent quality while still remaining relatively cheap, for mixers, time-coded vinyls, software, speakers, and headphones?

I know I'm asking a lot but for anyone to respond with links and helpful information I'd be really grateful .

The records play MP3s from your computer m8, as far as which one to choose from, my opinion is to get a seriously basic (probably free trial type) programme to try DJing out on before you splash the cash out on a more pro setup! unless ur minted of course! just to see if you like it and wanna pursue it further!

try this video to see what the differences are,
    i use traktor and im into house music,
    serato as far as i think is more for hip hop / scratching
    but hey, im no expert! see what DJ Qbert says!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTj-L7EKCL8
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Tech Student

Thanks DjGhille, I'm more into electronica in general myself, but a slight hip-hop feel isn't bad either. Anyways yeah I've been messing around with the free version of Virtual DJ and it's pretty neat. I might end up getting Serato over the price difference cuz i can't afford to be picky. Oh well, thanx anyways for the info.

I'm thinking since you're new you'd be better off going with a digital controller first, for simplicity, so you can get the hang of mixing, and playing with audio, because it is really easy to learn on, and if you're anything like me if things are really hard at first you won't pursue.
    i would have never starting dj'ing on cdj's because matching beats takes time to learn, and i would have given up. but because i started with digital i was able to have fun at first just playing music with sync, before i learned how to beat match on cdj's.
    people who use vinyl are incredible, that takes much more time to learn how to beat match and get going.

if you really are on a budget, and as in budget i mean like $2000 or less, you'd better go digital. because it'll be hard to find quality gear for less than that.

Starting out with time control vinyl sounds pretty crazy and bold to me. If you wanna play it safe (like most of us) get a decent but still cheap controller (Hercules served me very well) BUT if you have your mind set on time control after weeks of research and there is still no doubt in your mind, go for the time control.

Another thing: (this is just my personal view on this)
    Traktor: (wich I prefer) More features, more possibilities, sample decks etc...
    Serato: A more simplistic approach to mixing, the focus is on the 2 decks, the very essence if you will.

But basicly the time control will perform just fine with both, but you need do find out what you prefer in terms of the other stuff like effects, user interface,...

Last but not least:
    I could write a lot about this but I am tired as hell, so I'll keep it short:
    Low budget and time control they don't mix IMO

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ebilbeats View Post
    I'm on a low budget.
    What do you call a low budget?

Giving people the absolute maximum you can spend will give you much more accurate and realistic suggestions.

DVS is expensive. You are looking at 2 turntables, a mixer, and a sound card. Easily $1000. What's your budget?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    DVS is expensive. You are looking at 2 turntables, a mixer, and a sound card. Easily $1000. What's your budget?
    QFT.

I skimped and saved, bought used stuff off of craigslist. And I still ended up paying more for my setup than I originally had planned.

1200 MK2's - $150 for the pair, $225 for repairs (on both). Total = 375 for both
    Rane TTM-56 - $250 for the mixer
    Road Cases for the TT's and Mixer - ~$100 each. Total = $300

I hadn't really planned on the road cases in my budget, but I'm glad I bought them. Total came out to be about $925 + gas traveling all over the place to get stuff.

Add Serato SL1 in, which I got a deal on from a friend, and I spent well over $1000 for my setup. And I consider it fairly well bargain bought.

Turntables and cheap don't go hand in hand.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

damn $250 for ttm56? wish i'd found that deal...

anyway, i was in a similar boat, secondhand 1200s off of craigslist, they needed repairs (still do actually). don't forget to budget for cartridges and headphones. the xone xd-40 are solid and theres a NYC joint that sells em for about $50 on ebay. you can get shure m44-7 carts with headshell on amazon for $70 a piece. well over a grand for me, after TSD2.
    Do yourself a favor and find a pair of the exact same record with some simple instrumental beats for learning to beatmatch. a lot of scratch records have one or two instrumental beats on them

Keep something in mind about DVS software. the Serato SL1 doesn't play nicely on a windows 7/Intel core PC (lack of support for USB 1.1 architecture). some people have found workarounds, but they're not guaranteed, as i found out the hard way, and i was lucky that the ebay guy i bought from accepted the return.
    Last edited by paw_20; 01-18-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Yeah that's right, I can chat about Dante's Inferno, discuss the theories of John Locke, discourse on the microeconomics of international trade, investigate the kinetics of enzymes in various microenvironments, and model the price of WTI oil futures. But the best paying job I've had so far is sanitation. Thanks liberal arts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast