Anyone notice this latest trend in DJ's sets? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

People like the new mixed in with the old
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

you can get smells like teen spirit, creep , killing in the name, wonderwall, heaps of linkin park, a couple of korn tracks and two muse albums in studio instrumentals, that's what I use when the need arrises, and chuck acapellas over the top.

You can get all of the tracks acapellas then put those over a hiphop or dance beat to make a full on rock hop mash up set.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

heres a vid of me playing a nirvana mashup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVbpi...3&feature=plcp

shitty quality
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1113 View Post
    It seems like a lot of big names have been putting old, classic rock, grunge rock samples into their mixes.

For example I've heard

A couple of Nirvana songs, most notably "smells like teen spirit"
    Almost positive i heard a clash song
    REM; predicting that in the second half of the year as we near december '12 "it's the end of the world as we know it" will be embedded in multiple mixes
    Red Hot Chilis
    And just all in all, a lot of 80s rock and pop

Though I'm new to dj'ing, is this also new or has it been around? I've been listening to essential mixes for awhile so I know there's always a ton of 70s-90s hip hop put in mixes and even some 80s pop, but rock? It's really different and I must say that I absolutely love it, what's your guys' opinions/comments?
    I use a lot of old remixes. Eric Prydz remix of the old Queen song. DJ Panic City remix of Don't stop believing. I also throw in the Clash, Madonna, Michael Jackson etc. in my sets at the club I DJ at. People eat it up.

Not sure how long you have been DJing, but I have been doing this off and on since the late 80's. Been a club DJ since the mid 90's. Pop music have gone up in BPM. When I first started, most of what you hear in the clubs were in the range of 110-125BPM, 128 being the fastest. Today they are somewhere 123-135BPM due to the continuing popularity of Electronic music that seeps into todays Pop music. Given that, it lends itself to being able to go back and using some of these faster BPM/faster tempo songs from way back when and recreating them. Remember these are the roots of music today. New Wave/Synth Pop can be attributed to today EDM. 80s/90s rock BPM meshes well with today Electro sounds.

Also if you look at the club go'ers of today. They were born in the 80's/90's. Which means they grew up listening to these songs. You add an updated track behind it and you are sure to have a reaction.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Bassjackers remix of "take me home tonight" kills when you bust it out around 1am in a college dance club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTx1NG-vrI
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Gotta love a bit of Pixies - Bassnectar style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUXsWcwjwvw

Also Ratm - Team Awesome remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjzEds12NX4
    Macbook Pro 2011, Pioneer DJM 750mk2, 2xTechnics SL-1200mk2, Dicers, Ortofon Concorde Scratch,
    Yamaha HS50M & HS10W, Sennheiser Amperior w/Custom Cans wrapped cable.
    Torq 2.0.3, Traktor 2.81 Rekordbox 5.2
    http://www.thankphat.com

Tech Mentor

I play a lot of rock tunes, but mainly stuff thats extra dance-able. I know we all have our own tastes, but to me a lot of the mainstream 90's is awful, and not very danceable. I love the Pixies, but not really like that. The Clash, mos definitely make some danceable rock tunes.

Joan Jett works great with Peter Piper, and Rock the Bells
    Mazzy Star mixes well
    The Dammed early stuff
    Ramones
    Gary Numan so much good stuff not just "cars"
    B52's - "Legal Tender"
    Alice Cooper - "Clones"
    Thurston Moore - "Hang Out"
    Missing Persons - "Words"
    Bloc Party
    She Wants Revenge
    Six Finger Sattelite
    Devo
    Lou Reed
    etc...

I have found that I can get away with playing outside of the cusp of mainstream memories without totally going for the top of the charts stuff, and people really love it, no matter what the age group is.

def not a new trend. some of my favorite older breaks bootys are:

Geek Ghastly - Rage Against Terror (RATM vs PE) (geek ghastly = freq nasty)
    Adam Freeland - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    The New Originals - 1799 (1979 by SP
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

One of my dreams is to do remix of "Live and Let Die" from Paul McCartney and Wings into a great dubstep number. I think it could work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2hKzZss5Y

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Mentor

wow, great vids everyone, and thanks for the clarifications. Anyone interested in making a special thread for remixes we all do and also ones done by other artists?
    Once I'm finished with finals I'm really interested in making a scar tissue or how to save a life bootleg. Just to find the acapellas is the tricky part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast