Question about audience/song selection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about audience/song selection

*Prepares to get shot down*

Given the "relative obscurity" of most electronic music, particularly Dum & Bass, Dubstep, and other "less-popular" genres of electronic music, how do you guys that play this kind of music find enough people in one room that actually want to hear it? That was wordy.

What I mean is, around here, even most standard house/electro/dance isn't the most popular thing around, and most of the time if I drive around listening to it I get the "... you listen to techno?" look from people.

So given that seemingly few people listen to even the most "popular" of electronic music, how do you get a room full of people that was to hear what's less popular? I'm pretty sure if clubs around here played anything besides top 40, eurodance, or house, everyone would leave the club.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

heh... See, there's this club in Chicago called Neo. They play this stuff called Industrial And other stuff too. Though even their popularity is waning.

It's different in different places. In NYC there's a whole shit ton of EDM nights playing very specialized events (Dub War, different PsyTrance parties, House, Trance, hard Dance music, etc.). The hardest part is getting them through the door, and you gotta build hype to do that, which is what is hard.

Don't call it techno, call it dance music. Get yourself gigs in other events that will allow you to bend the rules a little. Then pass out mixes and business cards if it goes over well (and even if it doesn't). And, keep in mind that being we aren't rockin out on hip-hop, house and electro it's rare we're gonna have the kickin, big party. But a big part is bringing it to the mainstream in established events if the promoters are willing to take the risk. That's the HARDEST part, in my mind. But we also need to come to grips with the fact that we aren't in a great money making endeavor either.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I guess I shouldn't have said "clubs around here" where I haven't been to every "club around here." Lol. But imo most people I know that like going to clubs want to hear more mainstream music.

I'm also going to go ahead and say top40/house/electro is easier to listen to for most people than lesser-known subgenres of electronic music. For example, when most of my friends get in my car, I have to change CD's because they don't want to listen to "some crazy shit."

Not that I don't like electro/house/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Don't call it techno
    The word techno has such a terrible connotation, as well it should I guess.
    LamboxMusic.com

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

hehe I was just pickin on ya, man, it's all good. I don't expect anyone to know about the industrial "scene".

I think it's easier cause it's, well, simpler. Not that it's easier to make, but the sounds are much more basic, and the message is usually about basic things, and the songs have a simple structure.

Techno really does. It's the same brick wall I've run into with "goth". Just gotta find ways aroudn it. I now use "dark dance music" to describe what I do.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I'm guilty of it too, though. When I think of "techno" I think of this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tILJhUYySPM

lol. .

EDIT: Who really listens to this? It's things like this that give all of electronic music a bad name. Also I guess slamming certain types of music doesn't earn me any maturity points, but whatever.
    Last edited by Lambox; 04-03-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com

Tech Guru

just don't play a solid set of only one genre. mix it up. I like to mix electrohouse but always mix in a few of the other genres like breaks,dubstep and drum+bass to spice things up ; it really helps to change pace and add an element of surprize if you include other genres as long as it's done tastefully.

Tech Wizard

if you play for an audience that wants to hear top40 music, simply play top40 music, or get another gig. Your job as a DJ is to give the audience a good time.
    The best way is to create a party which is focussed on the music *you* wanna play, get a good crowd together, program it at a regular interval, and play the best music in the best way in the genre you love. If you're doing this the right way more and more people will come and you will create a new party.

DnB is kicking out in LA for the most part so it's not too hard to get the crowd going, but you do have to do a bit of juggling to keep them interested if you don't have an MC. When I spin electro, i do it by colours and hair. The more colours there are on the dance floor, the more i'll drop anthems and bubblegum shit, but if the crowd is more about the emotronic hair, i'll start veering towards indie dance or nurave. If it's a nice balance or if i can't tell, i'll drop harder and darker tracks as that's what i like to play. If the room starts to wane, i'll reevaluate the situation.

Tech Wizard

This is pure speculation on my part but I would like others with experience to weigh in.

Rural people are totally screwed if they are into anything outside the mainstream. But in a city the size of Chicago there should be at least 100-1000 people who are into any given genre. They are probably sitting around with the same complaints as you. The trick is finding and motivating them. Build a Scene!

Possibly do some work online. Build a forum for local people who like the music you want to play. Get them discussing music they found. (This has the side benefit of helping you build your music collection) When the bitching about there being no place to go to dance to this kind of music reaches critical mass rent a hall and throw a party.

Who knows there may be somewhere online that people are already doing this and you just need to network with all the people from your area.

I'm sure a bunch of the people you find will also be dj's. Get them in on it. Share mixes and have multiple dj's at the events you throw. Be sure to only use the best but do not alienate the ones that just don't have the skills yet.

Don't think about your own djing as an income source. If you want money get that from the promoting end. Own the network.

I would recommend that you also network with people who have done this with other genre's get them to help with security or something for your first few parties so that you can benefit from their experience.

When people go to dance they don't really care what they're listening to as long as it's good. I got the typical, "techno" looks when blasting deadmau5, kaskade, and fake blood in my car but you have to win people over. Start out by throwing a few well known tracks, maybe a little hip-hop infused house and then you can get into the more obscure stuff once you have their attention (and once they're drunk).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast